Led Kitchen downlights

Is it possible to get LED downlights that are as bright (or nearly) as

50W Halogen ones? I want to fit them to a kitchen ceiling, but they will be the only overhead source of lighting. If I fit halogen ones instead is there a problem with bulb life, and how much energy will a set of 8 use compared to say a normal 100W lightbulb?
Reply to
Tom

LED GU10s are rather dim and a bit blueish in my experience. I have just got some Megaman 11w fluorescent GU10s in my kitchen and they are at least as bright as a 50w halogen. They claim to last up to 10 times longer but I haven't had them long enough to confirm that. Only problem is that they can't be dimmed. Check out

where you can get 5 for =A345.

Reply to
pmlavers

Thanks for that, the fluorescent GU10s look exactly what I need.

Reply to
Tom

LED lamps are not vastly more efficient than halogen lamps, so for light output, just compare their power ratings for a first approximation. There are no LED GU10 or MR16 sized lamps with power ratings anywhere near 50W, as the temperature such a lamp would reach will destroy the LEDs.

I have some doubts that 11w fluorescent GU10 will achieve same light output as a 50w halogen because of the much larger light source and resulting optical limitations in reflector design. However, this will have an effect on the beam pattern, and the change from a 50W spotlamp to a fluorescent floodlamp could easily improve overall room illumination in many circumstances due to the wider light distribution. For example, you might be getting much more indirect light from the floodlamps' wall washing than you got reflected off the floor with spotlamps.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

no, try cfl.

8x50w = 400w. Add a little more for transformer inefficiency. IOW they'll make you even hotter during summer.

Halogen style downlighters are very energy inefficient. The total ownership cost is excessive, energy efficiency dire, they heat you up in summer, and you'll replace more bulbs than... think of something... well with 8x 1500hr bulbs you'll be replacing bulbs about about 5x as often.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:47:08 +0100 someone who may be Tom wrote this:-

In addition to the CFL lamps already mentioned, is there any reason not to use standard fluorescent lights when bright general illumination is necessary, such as cooking? One can install separate "mood lighting" for dining.

Reply to
David Hansen

Only looks really, it was not intended to be mood lighting, just to look neat and light the kitchen well. We fitted a false ceiling so it was decided to fit recessed lights in it.

I have picked up some Aurora GU10 fittings and ordered some 7W CFL bulbs, I think 8 x 7W will be enough as its not a big room.

Reply to
Tom