Fillers

Hi

What's the SP on fillers? I tend to use Decorators Caulk because its cheap and flexible, but it takes ages to dry & shrinks back. I need to 'fill & go'.

Tried Quick Drying Polyfiller but it don't dry that quick & it shrinks back.

Anyone tried this Wickes product which seems to meet my needs

The Medway Handyman

ask the client if they mind sanding down the filled area after its dry,explain to them why.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

elsewhere, such as:

(can't find screwfix one right now, but it was also called One Strike)

They're very good. They don't shrink at all, and hardly need sanding. They're made of a very fine fill material, probably polystyrene, in an acrylic medium. I always keep a pot handy for filling small screw holes etc.

Watch out for pricing - a 500ml tub seems to vary between £2 and £6 depending where/when you buy.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for that. I'd noticed how very light in weight some fillers were and wondered why. See what you mean about pricing, B&Q had the Polyfilla version at about £7:50!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I have been doing, but most of the jobs are in vacant rented properties. I don't want to go back & they expect it perfect whenever they move in. We have a lot of up market rents around here, especially St Marys Island(old Chatham dockyard).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For fill and go, get yourself a big can of car body filler (Scotts of Sidcup if you come up the a20 that far). Only yesterday I was cursing my luck when the simple removal of a curtain rail bracket resulted in a large cavity with nothing to fix to. This stuff got me out of trouble yet again. For small filling of woodwork pre painting, I mix up a really thick polyfilla and rub it into the gaps. You can paint over that straight away with an acrylic primer/undercoat

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Last time I bought that type of filler, I found Wickes own both much cheaper, and produced a significantly better result.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Lighter weight usually means microspheres, which aren't a cheap ingredient

Reply to
Stuart Noble

3 words:

Car.

Body.

Filler.

Dries quick, doesn't shrink, pongs a bit though.

Still, 2 out of 3 aint bad...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

This is similar also but in a tube:

John Rumm

I don't have that problem and love the stuff for the gaps around window/door frames or along the tops of skirtings. The good 'ole wet finger to smooth and I find it's paintable in a few hours or less.

I would not use Decorators Caulk for crack/small damage filling to plaster for the reason you state and the fact you can't sand the stuff. For that I mix up a fairly stiff ordinary polyfilla, branded or store marked. Fill slightly proud, leave to set for a while the polish alla plaster. A very quick sand an hour or so later is all that is required. Mind I'm DIY not in it for speed = money...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Found that today on my on kitchen walls. Damn near impossible to sand.

Sounds good to me.........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have you tried *Dry wal adhesive*? this doesn't shrink and sets rock hard and comes in big bags like the multifinish plaster. This is about the same price as a good branded filler,but will last a lot you more than a box of polyfilla. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby