Eaves fillers

I've got one corner of the house where about every other year starlings manage to wriggle under the tiles and nest in there, so far they haven't made an appearance this year, so it being a nice day I decided I'd fit some of those eaves filler, bird combs, bird guards, whatever.

Managed to slide up sufficient of the second row tiles that I could remove the bottom row ones I needed to (except the edge tile which was nailed) nailed a length of the comb onto the bottom tile batten, pointing upwards and outwards as shown here ...

I managed to piggle and slide the tiles back into their interlocking positions, but the fingers apply quite a lot of upward force to the bottom edge of the tiles in the places where there wasn't a gap to start with, the bottom edge is raised maybe 1cm, which doesn't feel good in terms of discouraging wind from getting in and lifting them!

I'm considering cutting off the fingers apart from in the places they're actually needed, to reduce the force, anyone else needed to do this, or any form of tile-clip that might be handy?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I fitted some and had no problem. I wonder if the warmer weather will help them to settle?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I wasn't convinced they would settle, so I took a stanley knife to the sections where the fingers were in the way, they're fine now.

Probably an unlucky combination of how far forward the bottom batten is and where the interlocking ridge under the bottom tile locates, just leaves another 11m to do another day. I haven't noticed birds attempting to get in at other places, but they might if they come back and find their favourite entrance is blocked ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And what wrong with an air gun:-)?

Reply to
ARW

We have the similar 'combs' and tiles, we had the combs put in place when we had new soffits / facias etc may be 8 years ago. They did 'stick up' initially but settled very quickly, perhaps a day or two. Certainly we've not had any issues with tiles lifting or birds etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

My problem was bees.