Decorators Caulk?

Hi In my bathroom where the wall meets the ceiling - well the edge is very rough. I dont know why.

A guy who did some work in my house said that decorators caulk will sort out the cracks and bumps.

I have seen thhat its the type of stuff you use a gun for.

Is this stuff any good / easy to apply?

Can it also be used where a normal wall meets another wall - i.e like an inverted corner (going downwards)

Reply to
mo

yes

/ easy to apply?

yes

yes.

squidge it on, use a wet finger to make smooth, wait 24 hours, paint.

Simples!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in

Thanks Can I just put it on top of the existing silk paint? or does it require any preparation? i.e a sanded down surface?

i will be repainting the entire wall later anyway

Reply to
mo

Many of them are dry enough to paint in a couple of hours IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes.

No.

Not really.

It's acrylic sealant that can be over painted. It looks awful and makes a crap job look even nastier.

Reply to
Steve Firth

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote in news:1jee1nj.1vgv8ek15llj98N%%steve%@malloc.co.uk:

whats the alternative? i could have the entire bathroom replastered but thats too much hassle.

Reply to
mo

and replastering will only make the other rooms look crap, best knock the house down and start again! [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Yes it is when used properly.

Again, yes it is easy to apply - and a lot easier than using the high/low modulus silicone mastics.

When properly applied and allowed adequate time to set, there is nothing wrong with its "looks" - and in fact, it can look a damn site better than powdered or pre-mixed fillers (and even better than the old-fashioned putty methods)!

As for making "crap job look even nastier", that is simply down to proper preparation of the area where the caulking is to be used - like all jobs really!

Reply to
Unbeliever

Its the standard way of sorting this sort of problem. It remains flexible so any further minor movement won't cause it to crack. Its for cracks though, not bumps(?).

Its relatively easy to apply, but there is a knack.

You need to apply 'just enough' then push it into the crack with a wetted finger. Then wipe any excess away with a damp cloth to leave the final finish. You can't really sand it afterwards, so any excess has to be wiped away before it dries.

Yup. Cracks around door architraves, skirting boards, finishing off boxing in pipes etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd use a fine surface filler rather than slapping on caulk.

Reply to
Steve Firth

should stick well to emulsion. As far as I can tell its a sort of very thick emulsion paint itself. With a bit of plasticiser.

perfec. Always use it before a repaint to fill cracks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it depends how big the crack is. 1/2" holes take several days ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More bollocks from the usual suspect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It will crack again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Olive oil, of course.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

car body filler stoopid ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe I did something wrong/used it in the wrong situation, (used a crap product (though I don't think it was), but when I used it in the last house (not done much decorating here yet) I wasn't that impressed with it's long term performance.

In particular the way it shrunk back into the gap over time.

For example, I used to to fill the crack around achitraves, top of skirting as the gaps that had opened up a bit between the planks on some internal timber cladding - which showed up rather too much when painted. I tried to ensure a decent amount was used to fill the gap.

All was fine at first, job looked great. But then over time the caulk seemed to shrink back into the gaps which really just showed them up again.

Slower, but I still think I prefer a suitable proper filler for the job.

Reply to
chris French

Well indeed, but that is probably out of the intended scope of caulk!

(it also tends to shrink a bit - which is more noticeable on larger holes etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

IME, fine surface fillers are great on cracks in flat plaster surfaces, or for fixing dents and other blemishes, but caulk wins for corner cracks, or filling gaps behind skirtings, architraves etc where the ability to accommodate some movement is valuable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Know your materials. It shrinks a LOT so it has to be used carefully. Its not a bulk filler, its a filleter. Its best for right angled cracks where wall meets ceiling etc. There shrinkage isn't a issue, but its flexibility scores. Bulk filler has no flexibility, and cracks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher