Extending an alarm wire

If it's wired with a separate tamper loop, they're never going to be sure which colour wires are which, and if it uses resistors any cutting/shorting is going to trigger it anyway.

I presume they're either 'clever' enough to avoid places with an alarm, or 'dumb' enough to assume it will go off and they have a few minutes to grab and run anyway ... FSVO clever or dumb.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I suppose it it worth mentioning again that 9 out of 10 of the alarms that I fit (other than new builds) are fitted about a week after the house has been burgled.

Reply to
ARW

Yes - I'd guess most would either be an alarm expert and capable of getting round the security systems, or not. Only a very thick burglar would simply cut the cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. I've lived here for a long time, and the area has changed a lot. I obviously could afford this area when I moved in, but zero chance if doing the same now.

I had one 'successful' burglary and a couple of attempts before fitting an alarm some 30 years ago, and since then none. But just how well it has acted as a deterrent rather than just the area changing, I dunno.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The whole point of alarms is to make the scum go and burgle your neighbour.

Reply to
Huge
[27 lines snipped]

I know this isn't why they're fitted, but it's quite "normal" for the burglars to come back in a few weeks to steal all the new shiny things the insurance payout has bought.

Reply to
Huge

Haven't you been watching the latest films and TV programs? All you need is a box with flashing LEDs connected by two wires with croc clips.

Getting into security systems is in the same league as obtaining high resolution pictures from a single pixel on a camera.

Reply to
alan_m

Its more difficult with modern systems, they can use end of line terminations so they can detect cuts, shorts and changes in resistance.

The old Chubb systems I used to work on 40 years ago were easy to hack if you knew how.

Reply to
dennis

They can use EOL if they want. The first thing to disable is the bell box. Five minutes job done and the ladders are back on the van.

Reply to
ARW

Taking the cover off mine will sound the alarm in both bell boxes. They probably think one is a dummy so will not be prepared.

They probably won't cut the phone either.

Reply to
dennis

Quite often exactly a week later. The insurance money has been spent on replacing whatever was stolen and the burglars know from their previous visit that the householder is most probably out.

Add in that any windows or doors that were forced will probably not have been fixed to be completely secure: it's much faster to replace a laptop than it is to replace a back door and frame.

I doubt it. Which insurance company will pay out in a week? I've just made a travel insurance claim, where we had a 100% squeaky clean justification and full documentation and it still took them about six weeks. Insurance companies are only quick and efficient at collecting premiums.

Reply to
Huge

Sounds optimistic, a colleague was burgled just after xmas, he only got the payment through last week to go out and replace stuff ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge

We were burgled on a Friday. I reported it on the Friday, and emailed details of how much on Friday evening. The money was in my account by close of business on Monday.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not true with our burglary. One working day.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When was that, 1972?

Reply to