EVs causing potholes ?

Both the coal cart and the milk cart had pneumatic tyres. I do recall seeing a lorry with solid rubber tyres though.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

You must build roads differently in Oz. The wearing layer is only

20-40mm thick and really is there simply to make it easier to resurface the road.

You don't, unless a heavy vehicle damages it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

What about Dobbin? Pneumatic or solid?

Reply to
Tim Streater

What yours had is completely irrelevant.

And that was very common at the time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope.

Bullshit and it doesnt make it easier at all.

That is just plain wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It is alsos to waterproof.

On better more recent roads perhaps. Not on what we have here.

Standard is MOT type 1, blinded with sand and a inch or two of gravel and tar on top

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was able to see the structure of my road, built in 1931, when they laid new gas mains. It has four inches of unreinforced concrete as the main road layer.

That sounds like the sort of road that gives rise to the concerns raised.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Roads arent done like that anymore so that's irrelevant to POTHOLES

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why would it be necessary to (accurately or otherwise) calculate the cost?

No-one has ever done that for any other sort of vehicle.

They've just piled on the tax and left it at that.

Reply to
JNugent

Indeed. The current specification for unreinforced concrete would require a minimum of 150mm of concrete. My road doesn't have any potholes though, despite being below current specifications.

Reply to
Colin Bignell
<snip>

Don't think tar is used much nowadays.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Colin Bignell snipped-for-privacy@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote

Irrelevant to what current potholes are caused by.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You'd be wrong. I have watched it being used for the final work on the roads in the new estates close to my house and when current roads are retarred after decades.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Are you able to distinguish tar from bitumen?

Certainly here (UK), tar is only used in exceptional circumstances.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Didnt realise you were making a distinction and I don't believe that the Turnip was doing that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Warwickshire CC describe bitumen emulsion as a sticky tar-like substance

Colin Bignell

Yeah, that's why I wasnt making a distinction.

Its often called a tar seal here, even tho strictly speaking its bitumen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Many years ago it seemed to be referred to as asphalt. I can remember seeing tankers with the name "Trinidad Lake Asphalt" on the side. The company still exists, but I don't remember seeing the name for maybe 50 years. According to the Wiki on it, the UK switched to coal tar in the early 70s.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The following is instructive:

Basically it seems that bitumen is derived from oil distillation, tar comes from coal distillation, and asphalt is when sand, grit or gravel are mixed with either of the above.

What will they do for road surfacing when 'net-zero' comes along, if it ever does?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oil is the source of the material for wind turbine blades. :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell