Eurolocks... keyless alternatives?

Thomas Prufer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There it is! Thank you for that! It looks reasonably affordable too (sort of)...

Al N

I have just been looking on eBay and they sell loads of different locks that are anti bum / snap and even anti drill Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Presumbly only suitable for front doors

Reply to
The Other Mike

OK but, which one? Cams only or cams with mortise bolt.

If the former, seriously consider replacing it with a new door. A composite would be a good choice.

If the latter, you will almost certainly be able to get a replacement lock, with handle operation but, it will be expensive, circa GBP80.00.

Good decision.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

i'd have thought you'd want it on your 'back door' tbh.

Reply to
Gazz

dennis

Ilene D'over wrote in news:kaS3RpADb3kQFwPa@0.0.0.0:

Ilene, I just checked and it has cams and a mortice bolt.

What about the fact that my locking mechanism requres two full 360-degree turns? Won't a handle-operated lock have problems with that?

Can anyone provide a link to one of these handle-operated locks? Or do I need to get a locksmith to come out and see exactly what I've got?

Oh, I see... well, I'm quite a skilled bodger, so I could have a go, once I've got the lock to work with.

Am I right in thinking that the handle will lock the door from the inside, but, when I go out, I'll still need to use keys to lock it?

Cheers,

Al N

"dennis@home" wrote in news:50941779$0$29423$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks for the link. Yes, it does look a bit complicated. I suppose I could order one by main order and return it of it turns out to be unsuitable. But, as I understand it, this mechanism won't negate the need to lock the door with keys, using two full turns from the outside, will it?

Al N

Not the best but adequate.

A handle operated lock will operate the cams and mortise bolt. The cylinder will only need to be used to lock the handle/lock so you will be left with a single 180 degree turn.

The cylinder/key is always needed to lock the door. The latch (Night-latch) will allow opening from the inside and outside if there is a handle on both sides. If you can get a lock which takes a handle inside and a pad outside i.e. split-spindle, the door cannot be opened from the outside without the key.

Hope that explains it.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

I'm sorry to say that the above is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. It has only one size and there are a large variety of differently dimensioned locks out there.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

Sorry, forgot to comment on this. You will need a lock that has the same size centre unit and length as your existing one. You then need to consider the distance between the handle screws and the position of the spindle and cylinder in relation to the handle screws.

Have a look here for an example of the various types.

picture of your existing lock would be a great help!

Reply to
Ilene D'over

Can the yale pbs1/2be used on an outside gate or are these locks for internal use only, ive tried to find out but to no avail.

Reply to
davidanderson85892

When I looked these up, they don't appear to be eurolocks? Have you got the correct reference?

Reply to
Bob Minchin