Elnur storage heater reset

One of our storage heaters, an Elnur SH24A, has stopped charging. It was n= ew this year so I hope it's just the thermal cutout that's triggered (no id= ea why). Does anyone know how to reset one of these?

The only switch i've found that measures a high resistance (20 Ohms) accros= s it is a small beige cylinder with a little reddy-orange 'nipple' on it. = The nipple is slightly moveable and I've tried tweaking it a bit (cue toile= t humour) but the resistance stay stubbornly high. According to the wiring= diagram, it is in the right place for the safety switch (Ts).

Any help greatly appreciated (and will save me about =A3350).

Reply to
alamaison

Turns out I just didn't tweak it hard enough. Needed a good poke to reset.

Reply to
alamaison

24kWhr, 13A supply so 15A fuse or 16A/20A MCB/RCBO at the CU.

Do all the other storage heaters work? DNO Teleswitch black boxes can rarely fail (on or off).

Has the MCB/RCBO/RCD tripped?

Is power getting to the heater at the correct time? A switch with a neon is preferable for a storage heater.

Are the connections sound in both the switch & storage heater? Obviously you need to isolate at the CU first.

Mmmm, 20ohms is about right for 4 elements, 13A, 24kWhr storage. Thermal fuses are replace only, thermal trips are "push plunger back down".

Elnur probably have a fixed call out service for =A370-90, maybe parts on top.

Reply to
js.b1

I have a vague recollection of some incorrect thermal trips on a few heaters. Pretty sure it was Creda, but the part may be common (STL make Creda).

If it trips again, telephone Elnur UK and see what they say.

Reply to
js.b1

15A rewireable fuse though I've been contemplating an new CU with RCD for t= he storage heaters.

All the heaters in this house have their flex wired into *fused* switched s= purs with a 13A fuse but browsing a copy of the regs from 1984 last night (= as you do) I saw a paragraph saying that 3.4kW heaters should not be fused = other than at the CU. Yet these heaters have worked fine for decades. Who= is right, the (ancient) regs or the (equally ancient) original installer?

The other heaters work fine and the neon on this ones switch was lighting u= p. But now you mention the teleswitch, we have noticed some very strange b= ehaviour since I installed a neon to actually see when the heaters come on.= We thought the teleswitch would be activated around midnight and deactiva= ted around 8am. Yet our teleswitch seems to go a bit freestyle. Sometimes= it comes on mid afternoon. And stays on. All night.

A) Is this expected behaviour or is our switch broken? B) The rating plate on the heater says Max charge time 7hrs. Is this indic= ating how long it takes to fully charge or actually telling us the maximum = it is *allowed* to charge? If the latter, could the strange teleswitch beh= aviour have overloaded the heater causing it to trip?

I gave Elnur a call and they helped me with my nipple problem. I highly re= commend Elnur. The first person to answer the phone was clearly an enginee= r. How often do you get that?!

Reply to
alamaison

What fuse do I use in the fuse spare for the elmur RF 12P

Reply to
Mike.barnicoat

Any heater worthy of the name is going to want a 13A fuse, yours seems to be 1500 Watts, is there any reason it should have blown the fuse?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've never had any storage heater blow a fuse. I don't see how the thing can short out the elemement is quite big. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff