Electricity

bills to go up again.

Reply to
harry

Well the whole problem is that when things go up they go up, but when they come down they do not come down. Thus the prices are artificially high. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Does burning shale gas not produce CO2? I think we are going to see higher fuel bills irrespective of Govt. proposals.

£200/year seems cheap for an assured nuclear supply.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes just like natural gas. The difference is that gas produces less CO2 per kWHr than coal or oil. It's still ancient carbon though that really ought not be released into the atmosphere.

+1 but I doubt the greenwashed masses will think that until the lights go out in the middle of winter when there isn't any wind and precious little light.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't mind if the lights go out, as long as the heating keeps going ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

For most people with new fangled boilers lack of power = lack of heating.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can quickly switch mine over to run off an inverter and car battery. We had a 6hr power cut in the depths of winter, starting just before the heating would have come on in the morning. I did switch over to the contingency after a few hours, although it was mainly as a test as I wasn't actually about to freeze that quickly.

The pump isn't overly happy with the stepped waveform, and I expect Class D amplifier-based sine wave inverters will get cheaper over the next few years, in which case I'll switch over to one of those.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It is. But when the greens poke their nose in nothing is going to happen. Ever. The lights will go out before new nuclear gets built in the UK. We need to seize control of our energy future by eliminating all environmentalists from the equation, starve them of oxygen until they piss off back to live in caves on some remote island and leave the rest of the planet to us. In parallel the government need to directly implement using UK capital, or enable via private financing, a sound long term investment program in something other than gas, wind, or solar.

I'd happily pay another £200 for scrapping all new wind build, scrapping all existing windfarm subsidies, recycling all wind turbines to landfill, removing all FIT payments for solar, and restricting energy suppliers to a single consumer tariff with no standing charge, no penalty or reduction regardless of the means of payment and full transparency in their finances such that only fuel cost + X prices can be charged with X set at a level that is acceptable to investors and consumers. Also a portion of all income has to go back into investment in new generation such that the entire generation capacity is renewed on a regular basis. So no more quick build short term gas, no more wind turbine fuckwittery, no more solar roofs, but true very long term (50+ year) investment in generation that works.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , The Other Mike writes

Can I still have my ground source heat pump?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Absolutely, you lucky lucky bastard.