For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

Take a look at this weeks "Inside Man" on CNN. He will tell you about all of the dangerous chemicals you have around you every day. Most are in far higher concentrations than you find in a whiff of smoke.

Reply to
gfretwell

That may be, but it does not make smoke any less a danger. Factors include concentration and length of exposure. Sitting in a tight space with two chain smokers is more than a whiff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As far as I know there is basically nowhere where you have to sit in a tight space with two chain smokers. Unless you want to. There are people who complain when they *see* a whiff of smoke downwind 50 feet away. People who complain about the *smell* of smoke on clothing. That's what I assume he's talking about.

Reply to
Vic Smith

When we were kids it was common to have a car or living room filled with smoke. Not so much today. Smell of smoke is not second hand smoke. I may not like it but I don't see it as a health hazard.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why don't all those others make me cough, sneeze, eyes water, hack, and other symptoms?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are people who complain about someone's flatulence, so what's the point? There will always be some uptight whining liberal who thinks they should tell others how to live.

Reply to
Meanie

+1

That's the problem I have, the lib anti-smoking crowd are just never satisfied. Like banning smoking even if I want to have a private cigar dinner at a restaurant once a month. Whatever restrictions there are, it's never enough, no compromise is possible.

Reply to
trader_4

The problem is to the anti-smoking crowd, the smell of smoke IS second hand smoke.

Reply to
trader_4

True. I see a lot of this nonsense, claiming something is harmless because something else is worse.

There's another common fallacy there (at least in speech). The idea that there is only ONE of something. I wonder how many whiffs of smoke I've been exposed to (and it's a LOT more than one).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Again, reality refuses to be simple, and these situations do happen.

Seeing it reminds me of the impaired breathing.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I'm not sure about cigars, but I have been around someone smoking a pipe, and it's not nearly the nasty thing a cigarette is.

BTW, pot wasn't either.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I was told by a long time pipe smoker that if the pipe tobacco smells good burning, it tastes bad to the smoker. And the opposite it true. FWIW

Reply to
bob_villain

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Yeah, but how many of them give me a crashing headache and make my sinuses swell up like balloons?

I'm not running for office, so I can say it: Smoking stinks and, whether anybody likes it or not, smokers stink.

I used to smoke... and I know from experience that one's olfactory senses adapt rapidly.... but rest assured that even though a smoker can't smell it themselves, they really do smell bad.

It's like bad breath.... your best friends won't tell you.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark Lloyd:

I kind of like the smell of cigar smoke. Doesn't mean I'd want to work with somebody sucking on a cigar all day - or share an elevator with one.... but, in an open space, I find the smell mildly pleasant.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Smoked a pipe for a couple of years and did not find that to be true. My wife preferred the smell of it to cigarettes, but I found myself inhaling it so I stopped completely.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is I pointed out to Mugs, using the OSHA standard for the regulated toxins, you would have to smoke 150 cigarettes in a small room with zero ventilation to get even close. That is based on sitting in that environment for 8 hours to get to the DTLV. The show I talked about was saying you get the same kind of exposure with air fresheners, cleaning products, cosmetics and even foodstuffs. Unfortunately being CNN I could not see the end because they had to cut away to a correspondent who stood around in Bangladesh saying he still did not know anything ... for the rest of the hour.

Reply to
gfretwell

Dunno, consult your mental health provider

Reply to
gfretwell

Even Obama was intelligent enough to quit smoking.

Reply to
Hugh Jass

Third hand smoke:

"Chemicals that are left over after smoking land on any surface in an area where smoking has taken place. Studies have found that of chemicals in third-hand smoke, 11 are carcinogens (substances capable of causing cancer.) A few of the chemicals that have been found on surfaces after smoking include nicotine, cyanide, radioactive polonium-210, lead, arsenic, butane, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and butane.

A second way that toxins can be of concern with third-hand smoke is through a process called ?off- gassing". Off-gassing occurs when substances from smoke that have been deposited on surfaces, such as nicotine, are released back into the air as gases. Through this process, tobacco residue that has built up on surfaces continues to emit toxins long after smoking has occurred.

In addition to toxic chemicals that are present on surfaces or released into the air, a third route of exposure is when new toxins are created by the interaction of substances in THS with other chemicals present in the environment. Two examples of interactions that have been documented include:

When THS reacts with nitrous oxide (for example from gas appliances or car engines) in the air creating carcinogens known as nitrosamines. When volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in THS react with ozone in the air to create formaldehyde among other chemicals.

Researchers have just begun to evaluate possible dangers, but findings thus far include:

- Thirdhand smoke (THS) was found to interfere with the healing of wounds, and also "wound elasticity" - in other words, how rapidly a wound will heal and what kind of scar will be formed.

- Studies in mice have found that THS causes molecular changes in cells which lead to insulin resistance (simplistically, the precursor to diabetes.)

- There is early evidence that THS may raise the risk of cancer. Nitrosamines - chemicals found in THS - above the limits recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency for children aged 1 to 6 are found in 77 percent of homes which have smokers. This is thought to translate into 1 case of cancer for every 1000 people. It's important to note, however, that this research is still very young, and most chemicals in thirdhand smoke have not yet been studied in this manner.

- THS exposure in mice can result in fatty liver disease, which in turn may lead to cirrhosis and heart disease.

- Thirdhand smoke exposure may result in biological changes in cells that predispose to fibrosis, which raises concern that it may play a role in COPD and asthma.

- Changes in how platelets combine due to THS raises concern that THS may increase the risk of blood clots and heart disease.

- THS exposure in mice results in hyperactivity, and there is concern that prolonged exposure in children could result in more serious neurological conditions."

Muggles

VOC's can have some of the same health hazards, and they have made me ill, too.

Reply to
Muggles