For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

It said: "Formation of carcinogens indoors".

IOW, the study isn't simply about byproducts in a closed car. The results apply to "indoors", not just in a closed car.

The carcinogens deposited on any surface during that private room restaurant smoking event leach out and combine with VOC's in the room and air to create MORE dangerous toxins.

For an engineer, you really have a difficult time putting details together to form a logical thought.

Reply to
Muggles

Why would they be sick? They smoked the majority of their lives. OTOH, I never smoked, and my body rejected anything to do with smoking, which included secondhand & thirdhand smoke, and any VOC combination with smoking.

You asked for valid data of studies on the subject. I provided valid data.

Smoking has altered your DNA, including, your ability to see the forest for the trees.

Reply to
Muggles

-100 You can't compare a health issue related to toxic waste with a self-defense issue related to gun ownership.

[...]
Reply to
Muggles

He's lost the argument, already.

Reply to
Muggles

Yeah, second hand bullets are far more dangerous than second hand smoke but you have your crusade so rock on.

Reply to
gfretwell

Despite the "cool sounding comment", you can't logically compare the issues of smoking with guns. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

Reply to
Muggles

The only significant difference is you seem to support the right to bear arms but you are neurotic about smoking. If you go back up to the top of this thread, what do you think the amount of residual chemicals are from your cleaning products, insecticides, air fresheners and laundry products? How about the chemicals in your food, either from the farm, production facility or packaging. I guarantee they are far more prevalent than anything from second, 3d and 4th hand smoke. You are just on a crusade and ignore things around you that are far more dangerous.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hello I'm nurse Ratchet and I found Mister Fromtherafters sitting in his truck in the driveway this afternoon and asked him why and he said he was conducting an experiment and when I asked him how much longer he would be there he said forever or until a factory crushes the farmhouse next door. I figured he skipped his meds so I gave him a sedative and put him in his bed and tightened the restraints. What? Know what? New what? Oh. It's like hitting enter to create another line.

Wow! If I do it twice it comes out double spaced.

This is so cool.

The microphone isn't picking up your voice so I will try to relay what you say.

Tell the traitor. I now know where. He gets all those. Village idiot awards. Which he tries. To palm off. On everyone else.

It doesn't make sense to me but maybe people who read this will know what it means.

It is amazing. This peach wreck ignition stuff works flawlessly so there should be no problem communicating with him once the sedative wears off.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Anyone who gives a flip about our Constitution will support the right to bear arms.

The smoking issue has nothing to do with politics - it's a health issue.

Those are also individual issues and each one should be taken into consideration separately. They shouldn't have any bearing on smoking issues.

Define "prevalent".

Smoking in public is eventually going to be a non-issue, and therefore won't be "prevalent" in comparison to other issues.

This discussion has been about second hand smoke, smoking, third hand smoke, and the related health issues. I'm staying "on topic".

Reply to
Muggles

I have to agree with Muggles on thid. It's not a "this over that" situation. Cig smoke makes many of us dick - not even looking at the "long term". If I walk into a smoky room, I have to get out NOW - or sooner. If I am downwind from a smoker in a public space i HAVE to move. Then once I've gotten away from the smoke, if my breathing does not improve in a minute or two I NEED to have my inhaler on hand - or I'm in DANGER. There are other chemicals that can have the same effect - including some perfumes.

Reply to
clare

Forget about long term effects. Hot dogs are actually disproportionally dangererous (as opposed to other foods) as a choking hazard.

Biting down on a hot dog can often cause the bitten-off portion to be squeezed by the relatively elastic buns. Lubricated all-around by thixotropic liquids (i.e. mustard & ketchup), it can easily be propelled directly back to the trachea, because the swallow has not yet been initiated to redirect food to the esophagus.

Worse, it is of the exact shape and size to completely block the airway.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

You're getting tobacco mixed up with marijuana.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

ROLFMAO

Reply to
ChairMan

Sadly, some folks think they have "the right" to smoke any where, any time. I'm guessing these same people want to eliminate "Freon (R)" from my air conditioner, lead from my gasoline, and 32 ounce soda pop cups from New York City.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

i have always gotten ill from secondhand smoke. my parents were heavy smokers.

its past time that smoking around children should get the smokers charged with child abuse

Reply to
bob haller

Smoking puts toxic waste into the air and that toxic waste ends up becoming thirdhand smoke - another source of serious health issues.

Reply to
Muggles

Take a poll among libs and conservatives as to who won't allow people to have a cigar dinner in a private room or who won't allow some bars to allow smoking and get back to us.

Reply to
trader_4

The point is you're an idiot. If restaurant owners don't want to limit their clientele, then why do we need a law that FORCES them?

No it's not. If I'm the only bar in town that allows smoking, then I could have more business than most other bars, because smokers will come to my bar. Even now in the dwindling states where smoking is still allowed in bars, there are bars that allow smoking, thereby proving your point stupid.

A smoke free environment doesn't prevent

Any conservative will tell you the simple, free market solution, is YOU go to a smoke free restaurant, smokers will go to ones that allow smoking. But there is no compromise with you lib types, you want to force everyone to live by your ways. Smoking, soda, salt, guns, fat will be next.

Typical lib mentality. You don't own the bar, yet you're the one that's smarter than the owner, to tell them what they have to do.

That isn't what happens in a bar that allows smoking. Only people who wish to be there are there. It's idiots like you that can't allow people with differing values to have their rights too. It's what libs do.

Reply to
trader_4

ucted. You're

esults. And you want to talk about my mental health and brains? If we did n't already know

is recently

hlights the

Just like the studies that showed saccharin was going to kill us all, so it was banned. But oooops, turned out they had bad studies, took results from rats, extrapolated it to humans and it was all junk science. You really need to stay away from science, you're clueless. All they showed was that some potentially harmful residue winds up on the interior of a closed car where smoking has been going on. Didn't need a study to tell you that. They haven't shown that any of it is in any way harmful to someone who comes along later and sits in the car. I showed you similar lists, of "cancer causing products" that are in our house. Hot dogs, Ajaax, shampoo, etc. OMG, think of the lives lost!

recently

For a village idiot you obviously are totally lacking in science. Or even common sense. You look at a video of some out of control jerks clearly resisting arrest, fighting with police and then come in here and say that they were arrested for jay walking. That's what lib loons do.

Reply to
trader_4

All you provided was that smoking in a closed car, God knows how many cigarettes too, produces residue that the study says raises concerns. Not one iota of proof on any actual risk, any actual harm. Being clueless I thought you could at least understand when I gave you that list of all the cancer causing products already in widespread use. Why don't you ban hot dogs, for example? That was precisely GFRE's point, that with that kind of standard, we are surrounded by all kinds of lethal things all the time.

And of course none of that has anything to do with smoking in a private bar, no one is forcing you to go there, just like no one is forcing you to eat hot dogs or use shampoo.

Reply to
trader_4