Dimming street lights?

Up to 75% of councils are dimming the lights to save money
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328243/Up-75-cent-councils-dimming-street-lights-save-money.html
Using a dimmer switch on your lights at home doesn't save very much in electricity AFAIK, e.g. dimming to half the light doesn't reduce the power consumption by 50% - is it different on street lights?

The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328243/Up-75-cent-councils-dimming-street-lights-save-money.html

Depends how they do it. They could just replace the bulbs with lower power ones, for instance, or remove a couple of bulbs from multi-bulb fittings. Or turn off half the lights in a street.
Then use the savings to pay the extra hospital costs due to the increase in road accidents. Householders will also notice an increase in insurance premiums in unlit areas to pay for the increase in burglaries.....
Inserts tongue in cheek> Then again, the story *is* in the Daily Mail.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:57:47 +0100, John Williamson

Even though this story is in the Daily Mail it really is being proposed in some districts near me.
Of course the council won't have to bear the costs of increased road collisions and crime so they would probably save a little bit of money.
--
(\__/) M.
Mark wrote:

It's also not new, being dated November 2010. The midnight - 05:00 turn off has been done already in a lot of areas, including a number of motorways.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[snip]

Oh FFS isn't it time you townies stopped being scared of the dark? It 's bloody miles from my home to the nearest streetlight. Crime is low, vehicle collisions at night are rare. The significant crash hazard is during daylight hours.
Steve Firth wrote:

You obviously don't live somewhere urban, then. Conditions are different.
I used to live in a village where I didn't bother checking too enthusiastically that the door had locked if I went out shopping for the day. Here, in the middle of a city, I check the door is locked if I nip out to the shop next door.
In the village, about a dozen cars passed my house in an evening, here there are hundreds each night, with the same traffic levels at one in the morning as at one in the afternoon. The accident rate at night is worse, as the drivers are more likely to be drunk, and there are enough of them about that a collision is more likely. I'd guess that where you live, it's unlikely there is more than one car in sight at any one time, so it's a bit hard to collide with a moving vehicle.
There were no streetlights in the village. There are here. So, maybe if we get rid of the streetlights, all the criminals will move away. And the drunks will stop driving round at night.
Yeah, right....
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:58:41 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

They well may do, to places where they can move around with attracting attention to themselves waving a torch about...

I fail to see an relationship between drunk driving and street lighting.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

<Composes several replies, then realises that you don't "get" irony>
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

For some reason, ever since I saw the first post on the subject this morning all the streetlights on my street have been on! Probably the sunniest day we have had this year.
--
Adam

lotsofspamanymore.invalid> writes>Even though this story is in the Daily Mail it really is being

My local council is running a trial of the dimming devices in the area I live in, approximately 3 miles sq. The lights only dim between 10pm and 7am. It is noticeable, but not as bad as the claimed 50% savings suggest.
I did notice, however, that following the fitting of the control gear a very large proportion (perhaps approaching 50%) of lights failed.
I have a feeling that the cost of installation and maintenance is going to outweigh the savings.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Probably a different department, as long as they can say they have saved 50% on the running costs then they can conveniently ignore all the others.

--
Bill

The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Up to 75% of councils are dimming the lights
Only dimming? Round here whole swathes of them have been "unplugged", some have even had their heads removed and most of the rest go off after 00:15 (or rather after 01:15 now the clocks have changed) leaving one light per street in residential areas.
On 18/04/2011 09:04, Andy Burns wrote:

Perhaps they could send out heavily subsidised LED torches, one per household, so that local residents can venture out in safety...
--
Adrian C

Vulnerable people don't venture out anyway, even with the street lights on.
Just fit a PIR flood at the front if you think its a problem, the the police helicopter can watch the people go down the road by following the flood lights.
I wish they would turn the street lights off around here save me having to use a filter on the scope.
On 18 Apr,

For once I agree with Dennis.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Sniper Alley around your way?
Andy Burns wrote:

They've been considering that round here. It's already pretty black at night (village). Certainly seems to be a retrograde step WRT accidents and crime...
--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote:

I think its actually good for crime.
First of all, in terms of straight mugging, a victim can hide in the dark.
Having played hide and seek in the dark as a child, one of the most successful ploys was to lie down in the middle of the garden. They always looked in bushes
likewise you then need to carry a torch as a crim on B&E jobs. This makes you a bit obvious. .
AS far as accidents go, all vehicles have lights - except cyclists of course. You can see a light in a pitch black place easily.
If you are a cyclist with no lights, you deserve what you get anyway.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:35:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

black at

accidents

Aye, I don't think Andy has experienced a cloudy, moonless night. It's unnervingly dark and you certainly can't move around as you just can't see *anything*. A single street light 1/2 a mile away will ruin that.
Even with a new moon starlight is ample to move around in.

So can the mugger before they find their victim, but then anybody sensible carries a 3D cell Maglite so they can see and a 3D cell Maglight isn't a weapon is it...

Yep, used to be part of a capture team on night time orienteering excercises. At night you can simply stand still and quiet in front of a tree and people will just walk straight past within feet of you.

Same for pedestrians, what is it with people not carrying a torch or wearing something light coloured or better retro-reflective on them?
--
Cheers
Dave.

My 5D cell one isn't so I don't see how a 3 cell one is.

They are out looking to B&E.