EDF and smart meters

In message <3N$ snipped-for-privacy@perry.uk, at 15:33:46 on Thu, 23 Mar 2023, Roland Perry snipped-for-privacy@perry.co.uk> remarked:

It's asking me for IHD MAC, but when I enter it, does nothing when I click "Log In". No error message, no diagnostics, just ignores me.

Reply to
Roland Perry

On 28/03/2023 14:38, Roland Perry wrote: <snip>

It's not letting me in at present (but was working last Wednesday). I'll try again later in the week.

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

17:43:37 ><snip>

I'm wondering what the purpose of telling it the MAC number is.

It can't be to facilitate any real-time communication with the IHD, because it's broken - specifically it won't pair with the meter any more, and there's no other data channel in or out.

So it must be simply an authentication token, with the central database being primed with my meter number, and an entry saying what the IHD's MAC number was back when they installed it. And now that's simply a password to access the database of what the smart meter has spewed out over time.

And might still be spewing out, but I can't tell because I've no access to a tool to verify that. In particular my energy provider only wants to give me it's opinion of a meter reading once every six months.

And looking at my back-bills sometimes that's an *estimate*, which makes no sense if the smart meter is working (but is it ?!?!?)

Reply to
Roland Perry

n3rgy's consumer service is now working again for me.

The page where you sign up has "we will use your IHD MAC address or CIN value for authentication."

I suggest you need to start with your supplier.

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

10:11:15 >> In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

As I suspected but trying the portal again just now, no change.

But if I try to sign in (rather than use their "you don't have to sign in" scheme i get the wrror massage

"Sorry... We couldn't find your MPxN"

Which is their problem, not mine or my energy provider's. But I suspect we've hit a brick wall here.

With what objective. That they remind n3 what my MPxN is, or something else?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I don't see why you think it's n3rgy's problem: they don't install smart meters or collect the data from them.

Your supplier is responsible for your meter. If it's not working properly you start with them.

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

12:06:40 >> In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

It's their problem because they offer a service to the public, and yet it falls flat on its face. How embarrassing for them (and the people who recommend them).

It's my IHD which isn't working, and they aren't interested. Nor apparently are they interested in telling me the latest[1] meter readings via their own website. I could campaign for them to rewrite their website, and generally get their act together, but I fear it could be like trying to empty the ocean with a spoon.

I'm due a bill in the next fortnight, and if the meter readings are estimates, I may take that up with OFGEM.

[1] As in today, let alone half an hour ago. The site pitifully only tells me their interpretation of "latest reading" on 1/12/22, which I presume was a tariff change. Maybe get another on 31/3/23?
Reply to
Roland Perry