Dyson vacuums: really all that good?

I'd gusee within a arc circumscribed by ten/ twenty miles to the North, East and West ... { the coast is to the south ;) }. The really sad thing is that these people have as much say in who should be Prime Minister as you and I !

--

Brian

Bournemouth?
... and look what has happened there.
said:

<snip>
<snip>
I suspect a planet called 'Fucktard', hence why they are known as 'Fucktards'... Ask Steve Firth, he should know!
John Rumm wrote:

I can well believe that. I expect the division is around about the time manufacture was switched to China.
-- JJ
John Rumm wrote:

I think the disparity stems from the actual use and expectations.
Those who have abused cylinder cleaners, never emptied the bag, never scrapped their carpets with te brush ting down and never had to suck up plaster dust, (.il.e most women) find dysons wonderful: irrespectibve oif te fact that they diont reach teh parts that other vacuum cleaners do, they are always obvuious when needing emtying, and make the ladies feel they have actually swqept a floor.
Those who have to go afterwards and clean the skirtings and the cobwebs off the ceiling, are not noticed, for what are we but stupid men, after all?
And therefore out preferred machines are stupid too.
Lurch wrote:

Nat at all. I have a mate who runs a very successfull vac repair business. At any one time there will be half a dozen Die Soons in his shop.
I mentioned this to him once - he opened the workshop door to reveal possibly 50 Die Soons. He loves them - reckons they pay for two holidays a year.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I've got about 150 atm, ostly just blocked filters and a few motors, mainly with blocked filters as well.
I have no more Dysons in that 'just fall to pieces' than any other machine.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

"Yes Madam, your Dyson does seem to need a service, I'll have to take it away to do so though - complicated things these Dyson's, you know - It will be about a week and cost - Oooo - 90 quid with all the parts, plus VAT, if you don't want to pay cash."
One week later the Dyson is returned, having had a quick filter clean and a weeks rest standing in the corner of the workshop....

Why would people do that when for about 55 quid, Dyson will send an engineer round to your house, and service it on the spot, and that price includes all parts except the hepa filter (which is supposed to last a lifetime unless you use it on plaster dust!)
We had our 2nd hand DC07 serviced this way - and it had been abused sucking up plaster dust before we got it, so it did need the new filter (15). The chap also replaced the cyclone, the flexy hose, and something else which I've forgotten, and gave it a full electrical safety test too.
Gordon

Well I was being a tad sarcastic but you should remember that two are born every week - that is a con-merchant and a gullible fool, not only that but they often keep meeting each other...
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I think the total sum I have spent on my cylinder vacuum is zero.
The previous one got re motored after 9 years..35.
Frankly that is an *appalling* machine if it needs 55 spending on it every so often.

You may well ask. I think it's gullibility.
Yesterday I purchased a new washing machine to be delivered to my parents. We had settled on a Miele W3740 because it has the right set of features, price range and dimensions - fractionally smaller than others. Moreover it comes with Miele's 10 year parts and labour guarantee.
So I set about looking for the best price and delivery and also arrangements to collect the old machine. For approximately the same price (around 20), I can get the supplier to do this rather than titting around with the nitwits at the local authority.
The comparison engines indicated that Dixons has the best price of 716 - next nearest about 730.
However, the entry on their web site is interesting. There is no mention of any warranty, but they are offering a 5 year cover for 289. Hmm.... Did this mean that their low price was because they had done a deal with Miele excluding the manufacturer warranty? A call to Miele to check. They confirmed that there are no special sourcing deals and that the warranty applies regardless of the supplier and is registered directly with them and executed by them as well. That would be the only basis that I would entertain the idea of buying something from DSG group. I asked Miele why it was that Dixons were offering a warranty in addition and of course they were non-plussed.
I called Dixons and asked them how long the warranty was on the machine. I was told that Dixons standard warranty is a year, extendable to 5 years for 289. So I asked whether the machine was sold with Miele's 10 year warranty. Yes it was but that was only for parts - Dixons warranty included labour. I pointed out that Miele's warranty was 10 years parts and labour. Silence. So why would I want to buy the Dixons warranty as well? More silence and then the reply was that it included accidental damage. Pretty weak and I think we can live without it.
The thing is, I am sure that there will be a percentage of people gullible enough to shell out the extra 289. They probably buy Lottery tickets as well.
On the subject of vacuum cleaners, Miele offer a similarly priced deal on their except that it is done as a collect and deliver arrangement. Yet there are still people who will take them to a repairer.

I originally got a DC04 (two generations behind the DC14) and found it fantastic on carpets. I was doing a lot of building work, and although not at all designed for this, it ended up be redeployed for building work which is what it's been used for for the last 7 years. It works vastly better than a Henry at picking up and trapping dust. It's not as robust obviously, but I've managed not to do any serious damage by being careful and aware of its fragility.
For housework, I got a DC07, which was the next generation. This worked even better, and just about any slight niggle on the DC04 had been designed out. As various family members saw the DC07 in use over time, every one of them got one for themselves.
The DC14 is the next generation after the DC07. I haven't used one, but based on the improvements I saw between the DC04 and DC07, I would suspect it's even better still.
I've never had any of the blockage problems others talk of, but I don't expect a vacuum cleaner to work forever without emptying it and occasionally washing the filter. I've never paid more than about half price for a new Dyson. By keeping an eye out for special offers if you aren't in a hurry, you can find them, particularly when the next generation model appears.
Apparently one of our offices has just installed the Dyson hand dryers in all the toilets. I haven't seen one in action yet, but those who've used them have said they are very impressive.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

We had a Vax to start with, but never found that very good for carpets, it is also like carrying a large octopus up and down stairs. That got augmented with a DC01, which like the DC04 was very good on carpets. As others have said it does have various design niggles, and you must keep its filters clean, and remove the accumulated SWMBO hair from the brush bar from time to time. It also has done sterling service as a dust collector on the end of a router. After 14 years it is still going strong, but does require ongoing care to get the best form it.

We got a DC14 Animal, and came to much the same conclusion - the design is significantly more refined. All of the main parts of the air passage between brush bar and the bin can be unclipped to remove half bricks and 4" nails that you may have attempted to vacuum, so there is no need to go poking bits of wire into it should it ever block. Suction on it is very strong (unlike the DC01 - which works more by good brush bar action), its also lighter, and quieter.

We bought the DC14 after trying a friends DC07... (did not actually realise his was not a DC14 until afterwards - they look similar and both have an "Animal" version)

Been very pleased with ours. It copes with dalmatian hair in carpets which is notoriously difficult to remove since it is short, stiff, slightly abrasive and barbed, and once it has worked its way into fibres it hangs on tight.
I have used friends Henry machines, and found them ok, well built and quiet, but the normal ones don't get anything like as good results on carpets at the DC14 (not tried a powered head version - they may well be better). However I am personally not a fan of cylinder cleaners and find them harder to use.
--
Cheers,

John.

A couple of years ago I acquired an old Dyson DC01, rescued from a local corporation tip and repaired by a friend of a friend who works at said tip and rescues whatever he can find that is salvageable, fixes it and sells it on. I paid the princely sum of 25 for mine. I gather that most of the early Dysons fail because of a simple fault in the wiring rather than the mechanicals and then get chucked out by those too wealthy to bother fixing anything. With many Dysons to hand said F of F usually has enough spare parts to put together a complete unit with all the tools.
Yes they're a bit plasticky and fragile but they suck like a sucky thing and it pulled more debris out of my carpets than I could have believed possible. The old bag hoovers it replaced were crap in comparison. If you try to pick up anything longer than about half an inch it blocks up because the passageways are so tortuous but this isn't an issue in normal use. A paperclip or wood screw will stop it in its tracks though. No biggy to find the offending article and pull it out and then normal service is restored. It was the best 25 I ever spent that's for sure although whether there are now even better bagless cleaners I couldn't say.
I also used to get an asthma attack every time I vacuumed and that doesn't happen with the Dyson and its built in filters. Can't rate them highly enough.
--
Dave Baker
Resistance is useless (The Daleks)

Probably the worst domestic appliance we ever owned was a Dyson. Flimsy and grossly overrated.
Go for a Henry.
Brian
Eddy Bentley wrote:

Our DC04 has been going strong for many many years, through 2 house extensions and an awful lot of heavy-weight DIY. In that time I've had to repair one crack and two cable breaks - annoying at the time but OK considering the treatment it's had. I just picked-up a couple of dead ones from the dump to make a cyclone for the workshop - but they both only had very many problems.
Dave

8-|
Was that what you meant to say ?
DG
Derek Geldard wrote:

aaarrgghh. Friday'itis "... but they only had very minor problems."
Dave
"Eddy Bentley" wrote

Had a Dyson upright which was used for general domestic use only. Broke once in warranty. Broke again soon after warranty expired. Decided to cut losses! SWMBO found the Dyson heavy and difficult to manoeuvre so we switched to a Panasonic. The Panasonic might not quite have the same suction, but the cleaning efficiency is almost as good and it has bags (so you don't have to tip gallons of dust to the four winds to empty it). SWMBO suffers severely from asthma (as does our son) and neither noticed massive respiratory improvements with the Dyson. Also is cost 70 after haggling - can't remember what exorbitant price we paid for the Dyson.
Phil