Dead Dyson (yes, really!).

Hi All,

I've just saved a DC05 from a fate worse than skip.

It's 'dead' (apparently, not touched it yet) and has been repaired previously for the same thing (and it's not just a fuse).

Before I set about it, is there a common fault on these (like the broken mains cable on the DC01's) and if so what please?

All the best ..

T i m.

Reply to
T i m

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:24:32 GMT, T i m mused:

Broken mains cable would be the most likely, assuming the death wasn't immediately preceeded by the motor exploding or some other obvious fault that no-one told you about. There is a possibility it's the motor, but I'd check the flex first and take it from there.

Reply to
Lurch

Cheers .. I didn't know if the recoiling cable suffered the same fate as the non recoiling one (that broke where it bent as it entered the body of the cleaner)?

I've just looked at it quickly and is it common / likely for the mains cable to fail at the mains plug end (it feels a bit 'flexy')? ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Being a Dyson is the common fault :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:44:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

Yawn.

Reply to
Lurch

Dysons are still one of the best vacuums...believe me, I'm a professional (cleaner)!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I thought 'you guys' swore by yer Henry's etc? ;-)

We have a DC01 which is probably good for big flat floors (which we don't have) but is very noisy (so has been used rarely). Brother in law was given their new DC05 because it wasn't liked by his missus "it was neither upright nor cylinder and hard work" so he uses it for 'tying up' as a builder. I used with him once and remember having to take it to bits every 2 mins and knocking all the filters out. ;-( (ok, it was pretty horrible stuff we were sucking up but nothing that would have made a Henry break into a sweat).

We'll give this DC05 a go though, should be better on the stairs than trying to fight the wand out of the DC01 .. as log as we can keep it there (wheels everywhere!).

The Miele Cat and Dog can have a rest and sit quietly, *quietly* being something it's very good at. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I wonder if it's the marketing / 'trendyness' of the Dysons that makes them popular hence 'common' hence why we seem to see a disproportional amount of them broken?

Reply to
T i m

I just love Dyson Vacuum cleaners. Got lots of second hand bits up for grabs.

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor

Trust me, I'm a British Institute of Cleaning Science approved trainer - they are rubbish!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I clean four houses every day, and I like them! Those who can do - those who can't teach?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

But that's only light use...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

I wasn't advocating their use as industrial cleaners...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Oh I've done it believe me! I've cleaned everything from a supermarket to a cross channel ferry. The trouble with the cleaning industry in general is that nobody from the management to the cleaners actually understand the science behind it.

I'll bet good money you don't actually know how to polish a table properly :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Polish? So we're talking about wooden tables here?

I wash them with a mixture of vinegar and water, apply _proper_ furniture polish, (never, ever use that 'spray-on' rubbish!) and buff them with a soft duster...how would _you_ do it?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Four coats of polyurethane and then use a pressure washer with deionised water like you do with windows.

Reply to
dennis

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

I don't clean windows with a pressure washer, though! Some meths in water, a blade and a linen scrim...

Reply to
Anne Jackson