Ridgid quiet vacuums

I'm thinking about replacing a failing Fein Turbo II with one of Ridgid's quieter vacuums. Model WD1450 is the one I looked at in the store. It shows a "4 of 10" in terms of loudness, whatever that means.

Does anyone have any experience with these vacuums? Do they actually catch dust or throw it about like a shop vac does? How loud are they?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

They look/sound like nice vacs from the reviews.

Oh, Hayseuss Crisco. Ridgid still uses "peak horsepower"?

Newp.

Ridgid makes a noise reduction muffler, so my guess is that they're not extremely quiet. Reviewers think they are, though. And the vacs have pleated filters, so they probably keep the dirt in the cannister pretty well. A bit of water in the bottom always helps that, though, in any WOD vac.

$99 at HD. Or look into a pricy Festool CT26E
@ $550.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You might want to go over to amazon and read the user comments.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 01 Oct 2011 04:11:16 GMT, Puckdropper

Well, to paraphrase Leon, consider a Festool vacuum. Thinking that you must have spent a sizeable amount on the Fein, the sticker shock of a Festool vaccum shouldn't be too painful.

I've got a CT22 which was replaced by a CT26 not too long ago. It's great for dust collection and does excellent double duty for regular housecleaning. No thrown dust, not too loud and variable speed as needed. I highly recommend one.

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The problem with the Festool is that it's expensive as well. Should the Festool die a premature death, I'm out another $500.

The Fein would have been worth it if it actually worked as advertised... and didn't require $100 worth of extra parts to actually be useful. (2

1/2" hose, cartridge filter and mounting kit, bags.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm rather disappointed by their pathetic ratings as well. I'm sure there's easy standard measurements for what's really important (inches of water column, dB at 3', Amperes at 120V (or 220V if applicable), hose diameter, container size etc.)

Apparently the noise reduction muffler is to disperse the air jet stream coming out. It's designed to be both a blower and a vacuum so marketing has one more bullet point. I seriously doubt I'll ever use the blower as the air compressor and leaf blower are easy enough to find.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

So, nowadays, would you buy a (hah!) $299 Fein Multimaster

or a $30-on-sale Harbor Freight Multifunction tool?
I adore mine.
$50-on-sale variable speed)

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 01 Oct 2011 12:08:45 GMT, Puckdropper

Yes, they are expensive admittedly. But, you get what you pay for. It has a guaranteed try out period during which you can return it for any reason and the warranty is a full three years. All I can say is to try one out. There's four sizes of dust collectors that can fulfill almost any need.

Reply to
Dave

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:03:38 -0700, Larry Jaques

I have to wonder what the noise difference there is between the two, not to mention dust collection ability?

Reply to
Dave

Yup, got one. Not all THAT quiet, but ton's of suck. I like it.

Reply to
Robatoy

p://

$550.

Fein TurboII is truly quiet. Just too damned much money. The Ridgid

1450 is a LOT of bang for the buck.
Reply to
Robatoy

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've go the HF Multifunction tool. It's a good tool for occasional use but for heavy use I'd want something quieter and smoother.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g23g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

Have you tried it with one of the Festool sanders? Something like a RO125 or RO150?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I picked up Performax "Shockwave" 2.5Amp, variable speed oscillating tool on sale at Menards (online and in the store) for $35.50 last week--including a two-year warrantee. "Regular price" was $59.99. Harbor Freight's only comes with a 90 day warranty, I believe. Since I can think of two ways I might use it, I thought I'd give it a try. For $299, I wouldn't even be thinking about giving it a try.

If one is interested and has a store near them, they could check and see if they still have them on sale or whether they still might offer the sale price. IMO, The warranty "feature" alone is a significant difference compared to the Harbor Freight product.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, but IIRC they are repairable, mine came with an exploded parts drawing. If you use the vac with any regularity I suspect you will be disappointed with anything other than a Fein or Festool. And they do come with a 3 year warranty.

Reply to
Leon

Puckdropper wrote: : I'm thinking about replacing a failing Fein Turbo II with one of Ridgid's : quieter vacuums. Model WD1450 is the one I looked at in the store. It : shows a "4 of 10" in terms of loudness, whatever that means.

: Does anyone have any experience with these vacuums? Do they actually catch : dust or throw it about like a shop vac does? How loud are they?

I own that exact model, and it's great. A LOT quieter than previous Rigid, Sears, and Shopvac units, and has great suction.

I recently was doing some house renovation in an area with a narrow doorway in the back of the house, and got tired of moving the 1450 around, so I got the new Rigid portable vac, which I also like a lot. Really easy to move, and works very well.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss