Dyson vacuums: really all that good?

On 2007-06-28 21:56:22 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) said:

I have one of the previous generation of Miele machine before it was marketed for cat and dog applications, and that came complete with the beats-as-it-sweeps-as-it-cleans head as well as hard and wooden floor brushes.
Works very well and I'd certainly buy another.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Eddy Bentley wrote:

All I can say is..... I have a Dyson DC01 (I think) the original "cylinder" model which is still going strong though now it's been rigged up to the attachment on my B&D Electric plane with ductape after the 2nd handle broke.
I still love it and it's great for picking up sawdost and screws on the garage floor as there's no bag to puncture. Completely crap for plaster dust but then so is the Henry.
Also have an upright "root cyclone" thing with a spinning brush for the shop floor. It's OK but useless for doing the stairs with the stretchy pipe and "wand" as the pipe tries to suck it's self into the vacuum and won't stretch when switched on.
Also... scares the bejeebers out of you if you have a rug with tassels and go too close with the brush!
OK for pet hairs on carpets but the "turbo brush" that came with it is also a waste of time as it packed up after a month or 2.
Also have a Henry and a James. Both well used and abused. Henry is better as the internal cable winding keeps it nice and tidy.
We don't have carpets in the house so a wild spinning brush is not required.
Spinning brushes are great when new but get worn out and clogged with cotton and christmas tinsel very quickly.
My Choice... Ummmm everything has it's pro's and cons, but I guess Henry or one of his brothers would be first choice for most situations.
HTH Pete
-- http://www.gymratz.co.uk Fitness Equipment & Gym Equipment. Life Fitness Stuff with an extra 13% discount through July! Just quote Petes 13% offer! ;¬)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Must also have the cleanest hovel on uk.d-i-y.....
mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike wrote:

:¬) Spread between 2 houses, a shop/flat and a garage I should add.
Pete -- http://www.gymratz.com (just for a change)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Get a SEBO. Best vac on the market - reliable, effective and IME maintenance-free.
Best vac we've ever had. Not the cheapest - until you realise how long they last...!
--
Martin
[ remove barrier to reply ]
Martin wrote:

I had 30 years experience in the cleaning machine trade and I agree 100%. Best upright on the market bar none.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Hear, hear.
I saw some cleaners in an American hotel using Sebos. If the Yanks will buy a non-American product, it's got to be good.
--
"If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ~ Albert Einstein
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

I've seen plenty of Dysons in the US (at least California where innovative products are much appreciated).
The same models aren't quite as powerful, I presume due to limitations on power available from a US socket outlet and/or thickness of cable which would be required at 120V.
--
Andrew Gabriel
βœ–

I have a Miele Cat And Dog. Sucks more than the wife ever did, and its a fantastic well built cleaner.
Pricey mind, but worth every penny
Add pictures here
βœ–
Eddy Bentley wrote:

Don't waste your money on a Die Soon (as they are known in the repair trade). Get a Henry with an electric power brush http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id #
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

No they aren't. They are known as a 'Die Soon' by clueless fuckwits who think they know what they are doing but actually don't and just like to sell people new machines and jump on the bandwagon to condemn anything a customer already owns.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

And those who claim that Dysons are reliable are the same zombies who claimed that Ladas were reliable, as long as you anticipated all the faults and replaced the shite just before it actually broke.
I knwo someone who is a Dyson fan. They have four broken Dysons outside their back door and seem to ahve developed a blind spot when it comes to noticing them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote:> I knwo someone who is a Dyson fan. They have four broken Dysons outside

Never had a single problem with my DC02 or DC05 (and the only reason I had to replace the 02 was because I left it with the ex-wife!).
I raved about the 02 to my girlfriend but she wasn't convinced until we bought the 05. I made a point of vaccing the house with the previous bag vac she had, then re-vaccing it with the Dyson. By the time I had done the staircase and landing it was FULL - mostly cat hair and her hair! That was a damn good demonstration of how much better it was than the previous cleaner if nothing else.
One thing that I really like about the 05 is that it's the 'motorhead' model, which has a motor powered rotary brush in the head. I notice that later models went over to using a turbine powered brush instead, which seems a really retrograde step. Is a motorhead available for any of the new range?
Personally, I recommend Dyson to everyone and would never consider buying anything else.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Heck, it's just the same as a 1930s Hoover.

Remove your head and smell the coffee.
Add pictures here
βœ–

<snip>>
At least he can smell the coffee after using a Dyson, rather than a room full of re-distributed dust, as with some so called vacuum cleaners!
Add pictures here
βœ–

<sigh>
I like to see the brainwashed bleat. It reminds me why I shouldn't pay any attention to the opinions of the masses.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You really are a ignorant fucktard <sigh>...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Firth wrote:

you seem to be thinking of an upright. The DC05 is a cylinder cleaner with a powered brush head.

Perhaps they make two versions of each model, a crap one that half the posters here have seen, and a decent one the other half rave about. Might explain the polarisation of opinion.
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–

IMHO; it's a 'religious thing; there's the group who say - it doesn't lose suction; honest (therefore they neglect the machine) and those that say 'it doesn't lose suction - especially when I regularly clean the filters (they tend to rave about the machines).
BTW: an anecdote; my wife and I were browsing at Dyson machines in a large shed when we noticed a sales-droid being bothered by a (youngish) couple trailing (literally) a Dyson which they claimed wasn't working. The assistant - how he remained cool and polite, I'll never know - indicated that one was supposed to empty the container - it was stuffed to capacity - and mentioned the filter -which was encrusted with dirt.
The couple trailed the machine out of the doors.
[As my wife said; - she'd have been mortified to take a machine full of dust, fluff, hairs etc outside the house, never mind to have it examined by a sales person!]
--

Brian

Add pictures here
βœ–

Where do you think that these people come from?
Somehow one has to believe that their elevators don't go to the top floor.
Add pictures here
βœ–