DPD parcel.

And the scammers know that, which is why they come up with semi-plausible reasons to try to convince you click the "enable macros" button ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh yes the world beating Xerox Document Editor. Which nobody apart from embittered former employees with very long memories has ever even heard of

Indeed. That's the key to success. Hiring the best people. Hardly rocket science is it ?

Other than that its hardly Gates, or Jobs fault if Xerox failed so spectacularly to capitalise on the fruits of their own research, is it ?

Gates is so successful precisely because he identified commercial potential where other people didn't.

Cry me a river.

Real innovetors often end up starving in garretts. Truly successful people like Bill Gates adapt or improve on what others have done, dumbing it where if necessary so as to appeal to a mass market.

Shame they didn't stick with their knitting all the same. Seems you still haven't got over the sad demise of what was it ? Oh yes the Xerox Document Editor. Just let's not mention Doug Englebart and Stanford, eh, Xerox Boy ?

Do you find it a release to be able to finally share these thoughts of yours with others ? Do you think about Bill a lot, then ?

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams
[Predictable, tedious, poorly researched irrelevant crap]

Yawn.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

That's Office 365, the other beast.

They still have a full standard product line, but want you now to have that last one expire rather faster.

"Office 2019 will not be receiving 10 years of support like most earlier versions. It will receive the usual 5 years of mainstream support, but will only get two years of extended support."

OTOH MS are still maintaining

They'll give up on those as well.

The whole Windows OS platform is possibly coming to the end of its line (except for the rental extensions), and I dare suggest from the above, also Office. Where Microsoft is going to go tomorrow, is going to be with something different - a completely new interface completely incompatible with the past.

It'll be a bit

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore ...'

(Other Office Productivity Suites are available)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Are you sticking with your view that 80% of Windows users are happy to pay extra for Word?

However, having open Open Office installed doesn't mean I use it. Anymore than I use Internet Explorer which is also installed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Er.... phone the number on the card they put through your door. No card, they didn't try a delivery, their problem.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The 80% figure is an approximation.

The point to bear in mind is that this covers all versions of Word some going quite a way back. There's never been a requirement for users to constantly update to the latest version.

For office use a figure of 85% has been suggested

covering versions going back to 2003.

Where home use is concerned, later OEM versions of Microsoft Works the dumbed down version of Office which was often bundled with Windows on new machines, all included "Word".

I happen to know that all the components of Office 95, Excel etc work perfectly fine in XP. Providing you don't need to swap files.

While if I ever feel pressing need to upgrade there's always my student and teacher edition of Office 2003, bought new and sealed from a charity shop for ?1.

For some reason Bill forgot to mention buying from charity shops, or thrifts, as I think they're known over there, in his letter to the Homebrew Computer Club. So I consider my conscience to be clear on that score.

Well yes. But if Open Office was included with bundled software on a machine you bought the fact remains that the only reason it was bundled was because it was free. As it is, larger manufacturers only pay a fraction of retail to bundle OEM Microsoft Office in any case.

michael adams

michael adams

I pay for office 365.. where else can you get 5 Terabytes of online storage for ~£50 a year? My Synology NAS synchronizes an encrypted backup to my one drive as an extra backup that's well and truly off site.

Reply to
dennis

Then define happy ;-)

There is when new versions aren't completely compatable with older versions .

you were ripped off ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Except if they wish to exchange files, of course. ;-)

I don't have an office. So don't see why anyone would wish to send me anything which uses a proprietary file format. Plenty of ways of sending a document which can be read by any computer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To attempt a phishing attack. They got you to click the link, so were halfway there. Only the fact that your system lacked the vulnerability spared you further embarrassment.

Reply to
Richard

Its very like the New Left

Get you to vote on something that sueprficially looks reasonable - Germy Corbyn - and then rob you blind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

5TB *mailbox*, 1 TB storage. Which isn't actually that bad.
Reply to
RJH

And where is it hosted? In which country?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd moved on from the subject of this tread. Do try and keep up.

Think even I might have got suspicious if I used Word and found a delivery company wanting to alter it against warnings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yet you chose to attack DPD in your initial post?

Reply to
Richard

You a shareholder then? Or suddenly terribly concerned about hurting feelings?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a shareholder. Simply outing you for being disingenuous.

Reply to
Richard

You've not read and understood this tread then? That it was a con? Perhaps you think the likes of DPD hang on your every word and deserve an apology?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

People are too used to clicking on dire warnings several times when they install most things on Windows or run anything with Java for such warnings to even impinge upon their consciousness.

Reply to
Roger Hayter