DPD parcel.

IME /all/ cheap stuff from China comes via the postie, so DPD would be a red flag.

But that's how these phishing expeditions work, at any given time a good proportion of people are waiting for something to arrive, so they rely on the random recipient making a spurious connection to the supposed delivery attempt, and click ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Separate issue to the OPs problem but there are two divisions of DPD around now. DPD took over Interliink Express and they now trade as DPD local. Thief vans have a the DPD logo in blue. The older DPD concerns itself with more commercial/larger customers and still use vans with the DPD in Red. Both have been reliable when delivering to me but it did seem strange to have two deliveries from them one day but asking the 2nd driver he in a red van had come from a lot further away.

GH

Reply to
Marland

That's handy to know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know different now. ;-)

I'm quite used to various phishing attempts but can't really see the point of this one - unlike those who try and get access to your bank details, etc. How did 'they' expect to profit by it?

Add to that I was expecting an 'odd' delivery this week (which still hasn't arrived) which could come by any method.

And of course then giving the day and morning when I just happened to be out. And them having believable URLs etc.

So I'll give them 6/10 for the attempt. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very true, given it caught me out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I've had before too.

They were very lucky to hit on a day and time which satisfied me it was genuine. And on their first attmept. Lots of coincidences working in their favour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you were running Windows, it'd install their malware, which could then do anything from mining crypto-currency using your electricity, to searching for account details stored on your machine, or order shit from any websites you happen to remain logged in on, or "like" the facetwit pages of people who've paid to increase their likes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They get you to execute somemalicious macro in Word and infect your computer.

This really bugs me, *why* can't genuine E-Mails from delivery firms (and/or the suppliers using them) specify what you have bought? I buy a lot on line and I'm for ever having to guess what any particular E-Mail is about.

Reply to
Chris Green

He also thinks that Corbyn is a lovely, friendly, peace-loving, economic master, granddad. What do you expect?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Only because you're one of the circa 20% who don't have "Word" installed. Presumably they're not too bothered about missing out on the odd skinflint, here and there.

Another attraction of this particular scam is that most people look forward to receiving a parcel, more especially if it's one they've been waiting for. Their sense of anticipation comes to the fore, and all their critical faculties take a back seat.

This is unlike stuff people aren't expecting to start with - complete strangers effectively offering them free money etc.

This scam would be a good way of linking live email addresses to actual postal addresses. Plus any other details they can worm out of people - ID etc so as to "prove" they actually are the person in question.

michael adams

michael adams

Why do you say it's being a skinflint not buying a prog I've no need for? If I'd ever found I needed it, I'd have bought it.

Thought you'd have realised that by my first post. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly the opposite. In your first post you explain

" Not Open Office or Libra Office - only Microsoft Office."

Implying that you use either Open Office or Libra Office. Or both.

So that you use two suites of programs which mirror the functionality of Microsoft Office as closely as possible - even to the extent of using the name "Office" in their title, but don't want to have to pay anything for them. I take it you do know what the word "Libre" actually means ?

Then comes the "virtue signalling" of how evil Micro$oft are, and how rubbish all their software is, Windoze especially; all of which of course has nothing whatsoever to do with being too tight to actually fork out any money, if this can possibly be avoided.

Bill was perfectly correct in his statement to the Homebrew Computer Club and he's been right ever since.

michael adams

michael adams

What does his c*ck taste like, Michael?

Reply to
Huge

It implied noth "No mention of a consignment number, and clicking on the link got to a page where the only option was to download a form to arrange for re-delivery or collection in person. Which has no functionality if opened with Open Office - and says you have to use Microsoft Office, which I don't have."

The clue is in "it says..."

Reply to
Bob Eager

Er no. The clue is in "Which has no functionality if opened with Open Office"

How exactly would Dave know it has "no functionality if opened with Open Office" unless he'd actually tried ? Unless he had Open Office installed ?

As it happens I hadn't actually noticed that detail, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So rather than simply "implying" that Dave has Open Ofice, he actually "confirms" the fact in his post.

michael adams

michael adams

Right. So by spending your whole career working for nothing, writing free software for others to profit by, not only have you been flagrantly disregarding Bill's advice, but you've been fanatasising about his c*ck.

michael adams

michael adams

Do you have to have Microsoft Office? Incidentally you can't buy the current MS Office, you have to pay a yearly amount to use it. OTOH MS are still maintaining old versions of MS Office.

Reply to
Martin

MS Office of course having been stolen from the Xerox Document Editor in the first place. Hell, Billy-boy even hired away the people who wrote it. Hugely amusing that you apparently know nothing about your Great Leader.

Whereas it appears you don't.

The irony of this statement escaped me the first time round, given that Microsoft ruthlessly steals, copies, buys out and otherwise bankrupts competitors and has been prosecuted many, many times for it. So Billy-Boy's a hypocrite, as well as a monopolist and purveyor of s**te software.

Amusing strawman.

Whereas you've got it up your arse so far it's come out of your mouth.

Reply to
Huge

I think you will find the latest versions of word won't run a macro unless you tell it it can and even then there is still some protection.

Old versions on XP may well do something nasty, but as they aren't supported its the users fault. They should either buy new stuff or use the free versions on office.com and save themselves a lot of trouble. The free versions wont run macros IIRC and even if they do they aren't running on your machine.

Reply to
dennis

Not just cheap stuff, my laser cutter arrived in the post.

Reply to
dennis