Double-action hinges for swinging gate?

I need to refurbish an exterior gate and would prefer to mount it such that it will open in both directions. The hinges would need to be sprung so as to return gate to the central closed position. It's a fairly hefty oak gate, approx 1.5m square, stiles are 100x100 and it is close boarded. Reasons for the above are (1) occasional wheelchair use (2) free-range tortoise & (3) free-range kids who will not close the gate.

Anybody know if the hardware I'm looking for is available? I've googled for it but can't find what I'm after.

I could use field gate type hinges but the spring closure then presents a problem.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
phil

Summat like this?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "phil" contains these words:

Yes, but it's usually done with a double hinge-pin at the bottom and open jawed pintles - if you offset them so they're not directly above one another then as you open the gate, if you've got it the right way round[1] then the gate in effect rises slightly - gravity will do the rest.

[1] Top hinge further from the post than the bottom hinge.
Reply to
Guy King

Mike Barnes