Lift-off gate hinges?

Having completed the New Big Patio, it's time to think about the New Useful Gates, and SWMBO and I think we'd like to be able to lift the gates off to make the most of the opening (constrained by the house wall one side, tree aligned with the gatepost the other) so we're hunting for gate hinges that'll allow this, ideally with some way of (e.g.) padlocking the lower hinges so only we can lift them off - have had a look online but not yet found anything... The gates won't be especially heavy (4x2" ledge and brace, featherboard facing, biggest 4'6 wide by 6' tall), anyone able to point us at something suitable? Once they're up I can get to work on Shed 2.1 (upgrades always wind up taking twice as much space, eh?) :o)

Thanks all, Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

Screwfix

Reply to
Ed

side, tree

hinges

men" -

Standard farm gate hinges would work - thay have a 3/4" vertical pin which can be plate mounted, drive in to timber, or build into masonry. The part on the gate can be of an enclosing variety that has a plate either side of the timber with bolts through to sandwich the wood, or a screw on one sided variety that is slightly less strong, or there is a type that is designed for metal gates comprising a long bolt with a banjo head.

All the above would allow you to lift the gate off, so to stop unauthorised removal have a flap down lockable hasp above the top hinge

Screwfix stock the hinges

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Their "cranked hook and band" kit looks close, but no provision for a padlock or similar, so can be lifted off from outside, too! The "lift-off hinges" they do look more suited to indoor use, again no provision for locking...

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

I've usually used the welder / angle grinder combination to lock and unlock these.

A common trick is to screw (security heads) a horizontal bar out from the gatepost, immediately above the top of the gate pin. Needs to be strong enough not to be bendable though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

lift them off

but how do you get the gate off when you want to?

easier than all that (tho no easy removal for anyone) is mount the top hinge upside down.

I've seen field gate pins cross drilled at the top to take a long shank padlock ..... down to the value of the gate vs the quality/cost of the padlock I spose....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K