Door Lock Jigs

Hi,

About to install some 3 lever sash locks for 8 internal doors and was wondering which jig was best.

I'm looking at this laminate offering :

the Trend jig:
used either and have any negatives and positives?

Thanks!

Reply to
daddyfreddy

:

> or the Trend jig:
> Anyone used either and have any negatives and positives?

I have the Trend one but have never used it. You need a powerful router and a long reach bit. That's an outlay approaching 2 or 3 hundred quid. You might as well spend the money on a decent drill and a couple of nice bits.

The other one looks like it's made from Formica type stuff, which shatters like glass if dropped. Don't get one of them if so.

Those auger types do a great job really quickly and finishing off with a half inch and 1 1/2 inch chisel is easy enough. Practise on a couple of scraps first if you are unsure of yourself.

You can make up a jig if you already have a suitable router, guide and bit. Just measure the gap between the bit and the follower and make the jigs that much bigger than the lock bodies and fixing plates.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

:

> > or the Trend jig:
> > Anyone used either and have any negatives and positives?

Cheers. Well, I have done quite a few door locks in the past with the drill and chisel method and having just installed all these with a hinge jig I'm very pro the router method, as it's so quick.

I already have decent heavy duty Dewalt router so no money to spend there. Have now bought a set of the laminate jigs and I'll see how I go.

Reply to
daddyfreddy