Do dimmer switches work with Low Energy Bulbs?

Bruce wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 21:28

But that doesn't mean that one cannot reply to it in a reasoned manner nor use it as a catalyst for reasoned debate on the subject :)

Anyway, any society so immature that it cannot withstand old Enoch's speech is perhaps deserving of the mess it finds itself in later.

Reply to
Tim W

it was always primarily a research and weapons reactor reactor AFAIK, as was dounreay

No, they are not central They are very peripheral, since no one will ever build a reactor that way ever again.

No, they both leaked more than is currently acceptable, and more than any modern reactor does.

Neither has killed anyone ever. Nor is likely to.

The sites I do have concern over, were Windscale, but that's long gone, and sellafield reprocessing, which is not well run. But they havent killed anyone either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really.Not if you want to be totally free of oil.

Thyat mens replacing gas, gheating oil, petrol diesel and everything.

About a 3:1 scale up.

Depends if you like looking out to sea.

If its built off shore it will be twice as exepsnive twice as unreliable and cost twice as much to maintain, of course.

And shipping and our early warning radar system and nicely vulnerable to vandalism and terrorism.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but you cant stack them all in the same bit of land.

They all need access roads to them.

They all need wires going to them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the middle of a nasty corrosive north sea gale? Purlease.

Anyway I am only quoting the government spokesmen.

Dunno. Ask the French, and th Japanese. No issues yet. Windpower has killed more people.

Almost nil. Dont build systems that can be run with total disregard for sfety, and employ drunk ukrainains to run them is a good starting point.

Well thats because you have a vested interest in something else, or have swallowed the anti-nuke propaganda.

What that says for your brain is another matter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In case of nuclear power, choice is between American and French designs, its a technology we have to buy in.

As I understand it the Scottish coal field and presume others have substantial reserves, the will to get at them may be lacking currently, and an efficient and clean method of extracting the energy needs to be developed, but its something that uses native resources. Currently we import coal from as far afield as Australia, dosen`t sound very green to me.

It does make me wonder if the person claiming that Africa is poluting the world with bonfires in the bush has seen a fluidised bed furnace in a coal fired power station...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

and the `developed ` world is less corrupt?

Our own lot and their predecessors, 2 of whom ended up in jail, people like Berlusconi are hardly shining beacons of the democratic process at its best.

Indeed and look at who benefited?

Perhaps look into the history of Angola , apart from oil and diamonds , emeralds attracted Tiny , Lonrho , Rowland, famous for battles with Fayed over ownership of Harrods.

Mr Rowland made his money in exporting fridges to hot countries, he also expoted Angola`s entire production of emeralds at one point, lending the president his jet helped oil the wheels, and made a lot of money for Tiny Rowland.

Your view of Africa appears to come from b/w movies with David Niven and John Mills...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

At least I can write coherently. Is English your second language? Is thinking your worst subject?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

He's a racist. Can't you tell the difference between a racist and a non-racist?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It isn't a matter of being fortunate. It's a matter of being civilised.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Of course it wan't balanced. It was a personal opinion. I'm not going to add a section of loony left ranting to balance my views am I?

Acceptable to who?

The BNP are loony racists, pure and simple. No matter what they say they are racists, and that is behind all their policies. I'm not a racist. Go on, prove that I'm a racist.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes well, the left like to gag right wing speakers by labelling them racist.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They all need blowing up.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Reply to
Bill Wright

The modern day equivalent of Godwin's law perhaps?

The sinister side of political correctness (i.e. once you get past the vertically challenged / differently attractive nonsense) shows its true purpose. It enables you to suppress not only debate on various topics, but also relegate many concepts to that of a "thought crime".

Indeed.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think if you read some of Bill's regular posts, you would realise that there were elements of playing Devil's advocate there. Even a hit of a tongue pressed firmly in cheek. What he said (perhaps expressed rather harshly) was that if what you are doing is not working, why carry on doing it and expect to get different results? Similar arguments could be applied to the "war on drugs" etc.

The BNP will ride any bandwagon that they can loosely associate with themselves in order to swell their support. Needless to say, that support will not be particularly loyal or deep once they realise what else they have associated with.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its odd how being "offended" has been almost raised to the state of capital crime now. There was a time where if someone complained that they were offended by what someone else said, the response would have been "so?", as it would have been implicitly understood that being able to offend at will is a price / privilege that comes with living in democracy with free speech. It may not be constructive to to cause offence, but neither should it be legislated against.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm talking about what is planned, rather than what is sloshing about in your tiny mind.

Reply to
Bruce

No, it's because I used to work in the nuclear industry.

At one time, I was pro-nuclear, but a few years working in the industry cured me. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

As in, all of the installations at Windscale/Sellafield, for example.

I don't think the workers at Sellafield are either drunk or Ukrainian.

Reply to
Bruce