CFL bulbs

I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like to convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and don't seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness? Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yes.

Reply to
trader4

I've got CFL bulbs on a dimmer switch in my living room. Keeping the dimmer at max brightness doesn't seem to adversely affect the bulbs or the ambient light. You will find, however, that CFL bulbs react strangely (compared to incandescent) when you turn the dimmer down. The brightness reduces in "plateaus" rather than smoothly, and the lamps never reach complete darkness.

I've also got a CFL bulb in the reading lamp next to my bed, which has a dimmer on it. The dimmer causes this bulb to flicker annoyingly, and so I never use the dimmer there. It's always at full intensity.

-Frank (a different one)

Reply to
Frank Warner

The point of a CFL is to conserve energy. If you run your CFL's through a dimmer, you're not getting full savings since dimmers, even at full brightness, consume some electricity - all that heat ain't free! Older rheostat-style dimmers are the worst, but even the newest solid state devices aren't 100% efficient.

Why not spend a few bucks and replace the dimmers with toggles, especially if your dimmers are the rheostat-style ?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The efficiency of the usual dimmers is pretty good - they have a loss of only a couple percent. And the rheostat ones are now very rare antiques.

And if anyone is looking for dimmable CFLs, I am now finding them at Target.

Don Klipstein

The best deals are on eBay. Watch who you buy from, prices fluctuate widely.

I've gotten some really super deals on dimmable CFLs, unmatched by any retail store.

Reply to
User

This is all absurd. Just change out the switches. Standard light switches are $1-$4 each depending on the quality.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Talk about absurd! If you're switching to CFL's, you can get dimmable bulbs for $1.50, and you were buying bulbs in the first place.

Why in the world would anyone buy CFI's, switches, and face plates, just to change bulbs?

Talk about it takes 2 morons to change a bulb. I think Marilyn & Bob just got put into the joke.

Reply to
User

I have seen dimmable ones at that price, where did you find them.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff

eBay. I bought 12 qty, 15w=75w dimmables for $18, including shipping. I was so pleased, I watched a certain person, which sells them, and waited until I seen another deal listed, bought 12 more.

You can actually buy them for around 95 cents including shipping, if you buy in a large quanity.

The pricing beats the heck out of the box stores, which I paid $11 for

4qty, 13w=60 NON-dimmables.

Sure makes you feel like you get ripped off, buying the retail market.

Reply to
User

But what if you want the dimming capability?

Reply to
CJT

Did anybody read the OP's post? Or are you all trying to be difficult? The OP asked: «Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?» So no interest in dimming. All I said was that for less than a dollar each, (and using the same switchplate), one can do the job right by changing out the switch.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

If you are going to keep them at max, why not just replace them with regular switches. Some CF will react very poorly (possible hazard) with a dimmer. Use regular lamps, dim-able CFL's or replace the switches.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just a side note, while at the market the other day I found myself looking over the display of light bulbs. They had a CF bulb that worked with a three-way switch, 50-100-150 watt equivalent. I didn't know that there was such a creature. :)

Reply to
Phill

My original question regarding dimmer switches and regular CFL bulbs brought two concerns. First response indicated that the bulbs were fine at max brightness. Next it was suggested I need to replace all dimmers with switches . Also was told that using regular CFL bulbs with dimmer could be a hazard. I don't want to replace the dimmers if I can help it ,might not like CFL later. I was also told the dimmer switches use watts and the advantage of CFLs would be lost. I can,t believe the dimmers can use more than 1 watt at best. Help please. I went into this question with a problem and ended really screwed up Happy Thanksgiving to you all . and oh ya all you visitors from overseas and Canada happy bargain shopping in The USA

Frank

Reply to
Frank