Neighbour's installation has dimmer switches plus ...

My flat's main room ceiling lighting is OEM, apart from adding shades and r eplacing bulbs. It has two dangling lights controlled by a 2-spst switch p air by the door.
The main room of the flat of my next-door neighbour (not the recently afore mentioned neighbour) would originally have had the same. It now has a doub le-dimmer switch pair by the door, a dangling light at one end with a bulb which works, and at the other end a three-bulb ceiling-mounted fitting with no bulbs.
The dimmers would have been installed for/by the previous resident, meaning at least eight years ago, and therefore designed for incandescent filament bulbs.
She wants to have bulbs in the three-bulb fitting.
I remember that nowadays one must be careful about compatibility between bu lbs and dimmers.
She is out now, and I have not yet looked at the dangling bulb.
I have not yet found anything up-to-date-looking about this in the Wiki-FAQ .
So, what would it be best to do?
P.S. I'm still catching up on recommendations for Win7 -> Win10.
--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org - or as Reply-To, if any. |

It's just possible the dimmers may work with LEDs. I have MK grid ones dating from the 90s which do.
You won't break anything by trying LED bulbs on a none LED dimmer.
--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 16:59:50 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thanks. I have now seen the dangling bulb, which is LED; it works on the existing dimmer.
I have some spare LED bulbs, which are all BC; but her fitting is ES. I have a BC-ES adaptor, but it is the wrong way round :-(>.
I'll get an ES bulb to be tried on the next convenient day.
--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org - or as Reply-To, if any. |
On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 16:59:50 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together. If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Particularly if the LED load is less than the minumum rated load of the dimmer. The smell from an exploded LED bulb hangs around for weeks.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

Can you explain the theory behind that?
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

I don’t have theory, I have practice.
But I imagine that (assuming some inductor in the dimmer circuit) if the load is too low it generates spikes ≫ 240V that the LED can’t handle. Of course, it could have been coincidence, but I’m certain about the smell.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge dimmer. Long term use might, of course, but why would you?
--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 11:27:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

nothing long term about it, the PSU R experiences gross overload and smokes in seconds.
NT

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable' (with a suitable dimmer) ?
--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper dimming. The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.
NT

That’s bullshit, you can measure it too.
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 23:02:19 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

h a

ng.

It is possible to scope the mains current waveform to see what's going on, but if someone is asking how to tell they're not likely to have a scope, or be able to do it if they did. A pf meter won't tell you, CR & small SMPSUs are both low pf, albeit in different ways. And modern pf reporting power m eters have a habit of talking nonsense.
NT

That’s not the only way to measure it.

Irrelevant to your ignorant claim about opening it up.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 02:17:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

.
whether it is or not has no relevance to a non-electronics person asking ho w they can distinguish one form the other.
your junk snipped

<snip>

Indeed. When LED bulbs finally became affordable I replaced 10 x 50W halogen bulbs originally configured split over 2 x dimmer switches with "dimmable" LED bulbs but all wired as a single circuit to keep the load up.
Switched them on and the bulb closest to the dimmer blew, switched it off and thought it might just have been a duff bulb as all the rest were fine so took it out and switched them back on and the next (now the closest) bulb blew.
Replaced dimmer with a regular light switch after that and use a small table lamp for softer lighting.

I found the Varilight vpro range very good with LEDs declared as dimmable.
3 operating modes - trailing, leading and something else can be programmed as well as max and min settings.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJQP401W.html

I have bought LED bulbs from homebase that are both cheap and alledely dimmable. They sort of dim - not great, but dim they do. On a bog standard dimnmer.
You can get LED compatible dimmer modules to replace the rotary knob things in the existing dimnmer foir not huge money
--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

If TLC prices are to go by, you'll not save anything over buying a complete one. Of course if the existing plate matches other fittings, just changing the modules can make sense.
--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.