DIY is not for everyone

Careful use of a rope harness is fine, all it takes is a transient ischemic attack or a slip or drill clutch not working.

Suspension trauma is preferable to paraplegia, few die from a ladder fall, they live to regret it instead.

Reply to
js.b1

And those who were greedy circle-jerkimg selfish slimey bastards who over borrowed from them including most governments in the western world.

Don't know what all the fuss is about banks.

Only 4 banks in the UK required government input. bradford & Bingley - small insignificant bank in a Labour held area Northern Rock - ditto RBS large bank in a Labour held area, got into trouble through stupidly overpaying to take over a Dutch bank whose value had fallen HSBOS - large bank in a Labour held area.

LTSB was perfectly OK and solid until they were bribed into taking over HBOS by GB, and vital information on the real state of HBOS was withheld from the shareholders.

Barclays did not receive state aid, HSBC didn't Santander didn't Co-op bank didn't Yorkshire Bank didn't

Any more I've missed?

Its just a smoke screen by the left to cover up on their gross mismanagement of the nations finances since 2000[1] and their incompetence in setting the terms of the bail out at the time and then realising after the event that they had to try to play catch-up.

The financial services sector still props up the UK economy and the traders who receive bonuses still earn a lot less than people like Wayne Rooney et al.

Had the state remained creditors rather than taking shares we would be getting our money back on an ongoing basis instead of which they have gambled on the markets and so far are making significant losses.

Mao-tse-tung once told his generals that they would never need to fight a war against the west. " We will defeat them " he said, " when they start to trade with us".

I think he is now being proved right.

[1] 1997 to 1999 they operated to the Red Book left behind by the previous administration.
Reply to
hugh

Why not, if they own the ATMs?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've just had a sign (3m x 1m) put up on a wall above an external stairway.

The boss, for some reason, appears not to have noticed this stairway when he quoted and was getting very fidgity.

"No Problemo (in a polish accent)" said his workman who subsequently reversed his transit up as close to the stair as possible, tied two ladders to the roof rack, and got on with the job

Reply to
geoff

I don't mind using a ladder with a roof hook, but I don't think I'd trust a single tile with my weight!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah - I'd hang the others too - especially "prudence" Brown, the one eyed lying toerag. And his predecessor, Apocalypse Blair

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Funny, you don't sound big" was the first thing to pop into my mind in response to that, aren't usenet images strange.

Reply to
fred

Don't forget all those members of the *public* who borrowed like there was no tomorrow. Maxed out my credit card? I'll just move it all to another that's interest free for 18 months. And so on ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

... Back in the "old days" when responsible banks would only lend 3-3.5x salary mortgages and certainly would not have offered credit like you say...

Yes - lots of people are stupid, but that's a given. The banks were irresponsible in the way they loaned - the subprime stuff being an extreme example of "lets give a mortgage to every string vested no-hope-of-paying person"; "hmm what do with this crap now?"; "lets invent a bundle that wraps it up in such an obscure way that no f***er knows what's going on and trade it for more money".

Scheming bollocked brained snakes, the lot of them...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was knocked off a ladder a couple of years ago and that was a month in intensive care. Fortunately I survived it but we still have the internal scars as it were to remember it by;!..

I know of a couple of blokes who do domestic aerial rigging and they have been doing that for some 80 years between then and are both sound in wind and limb;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

credit

Yep, it frightens me when people say their mortgage payments are =A31000/month or more. The UK average earnings is about 24k take away half of that for the mortgage, How on earh can they afford to heat and eat?

now?";

'twas the bollocked brained politicos that relaxed the regulations and/or didn't keep a close enough eye on what was going on that allowed the banks to take excessive risks in the first place. And I suspect a certain amount of "we are so big, we won't be allowed to go bust". Hopefully the fact that several banks have gone bust has given them a big kick up the jacksee that they aren't as "safe" as they thought they were.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Around these parts even a simple no frills Two bedroom house is £850 a month in the private rented sector...

Two working, one full time and the other full or part time ..

However more and more people over time are starting to inherit their parents wealth. A couple I know not only inherited their respective parents gaff's but his wife befriended an old lady over time and used to run small errands for her and she left them all of her worldly goods around 600,00 sheets;!!!

Reply to
tony sayer

And around here a decent 4 bedroom family house is about twice that. A larger family house opposite me is rented out at £2K pm.

It's still a struggle though.

Reply to
Mark

Indeed. In the 'good old days' a bank would only lend you money if they were pretty sure you could repay it.

When they started to lend without this condition, they have only themselves to blame. But of course blame everyone and everything but themselves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you been back up a ladder?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There's lots of government pressure about the ridiculous bonuses being paid to their chiefs too - even in banks which were bailed out by the state. They manage to ignore those happily, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

charles :

AFAICS making a risky loan wasn't the problem. The problem was disguising that as a safe loan in order to sell it. I don't understand why there haven't been more prosecutions for fraud.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I don't understand that either. I has always imagined that experts in money knew that what they were doing was sustainable and that the authorities were keeping an eye on things. Now I know that was not the case. I'd like to see everybody who was wrong to be named and shamed and banned from work with money, and the companies they worked for closed down completely.

If I had known what derivatives really were, I could have prophesied the collapse of the banking system. Fortunately I had sold all my shares and shifted money to safer places. But a relative got caught in the property collapse. All because financial advisers didn't bother explaining how derivatives were actually made up. People have university degrees for analysing such things. Why did they not speak up?

Reply to
Matty F

This is almost never mentioned in the tabloid 'shock horror: today's young people will never be able to buy a house'. 50 years ago a good few old people were tenants and as for the rest their houses were then worth a low multiple of average income, so amounts left were nice to have but not life changing. They also probably had, on average, more children than those who are now in the high mortality category so lower shares each. Now, though, as you say, significant amounts are now coming down the generations as bequests.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

During the boom years anyone who did speak up was roundly shouted down.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon