I've just discovered Wago connectors!

I'd not heard of them but my nephew who's an electrician swears by them

I bought a few on Ebay and they work out at about 40p each but are 25p each if you buy 50.

Clever design - no tools needed and they're apparently much more reliable than terminal blocks.

Reply to
Murmansk

Hey daddio! Search on here for wago....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The answer to a maidens prayer. Brilliant things. TLC sell them quite cheaply.

David Lang

Cue debate about longevity, gastight joints etc :)

Me - I think they are super - on low power circuits like lighting and heating (which is where you tend to need a lot of random terminals).

Would I use them in a ring or some other higher power circuit? No. But that's just my gut feeling.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Wirewrap is about the only system that does that.

The lever operated ones are really useful on models at 12V.

Reply to
dennis

Mine to.

Reply to
David Lang

Yes prototypers where I used to work swore by them, no not at them, so they have been in business for quite a few years now. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Copper doesn't creep, so it's about the only metal that can be fixed by a screw terminal and shouldn't loosen over time, excepting of course through temperature cycling.

I have no idea of the force Wago connector's force on the cable, of course a screw terminal increases contact area through cable deformation. That won't happen with a Wago.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Blimey, they look useful. Does anyone do an assortment box?

Reply to
Huge

yes.

When I bought some a while back,they were cheapest from Connexcox (makers of the Wagoboxs)

Reply to
Chris French

[11 lines snipped]

Just ordered a minikit. When I think of all the times I've spent pissing about with horrible chocolate blocks and hateful junction boxes.

The "Capsule" looks good, too. I have external electrics associated with my cesspit pump that they would be really good for - I've done a sort of DIY version with IP66 boxes, chocolate blocks (spit) and cable glands in the past.

Reply to
Huge

CPC sell them individually about 20p+VAT

Wago say *they* now own wagobox, but connexbox seem to say they still make them.

Hadn't seen the 221 lever clamps before, they look more compact than the

222 levers where a 2way takes the same space as a 4way 777 push version
Reply to
Andy Burns

If you tighten a screw terminal too much you reduce the cross section of the wire and can cause thermal failure. You can't do that with a wago AFAIK.

Reply to
dennis

Especially good for light fittings, takes the strain off the shoulders.

Reply to
David Lang

Copper is such a good conductor of heat, even if the area is reduced locally I doubt there would be a significant temperature rise.

I would be more concerned over contact resistance.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Well taken to the extreme there is no copper left.

That also causes heat.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, a whole lot more than a little thinning of a conductor.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've been using them for a couple of years (the lever type) on some industrial 3 kW immersion heaters which run at fairly high load factor, with no problems. Far better than chocolate blocks!

Reply to
newshound

what were those twist on connectors .. (bit like a conical tooth past tube top) they seemed all the rage in the 70's ...... they no longer used ?

US still use them.

Reply to
rick

Wire nuts. Hideous things.