Wago connectors in inaccessible places - any specific rules apply?

We're about to put solid wood floor down in a room which currently has three access panels in the chipboard which open up to reveal ordinary screw terminal junction boxes (which I put there many years ago when I did some wiring in the room below).

I believe that Wago connectors are allowed in inaccessible places which is what these will become when the solid wood is laid on top of the chipboard. Are there any specific rules that have to be complied with to use Wago connectors in this sort of location? I'll probably put them in the standard Wago boxes.

Reply to
tinnews

The Wagos do need to be in an enclosure. And there are always

are very good.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It is generally accepted that if the manufacturers say "maintenance free" then it is suitable.

Wagobox has strain relief for the cables which is good. You can of course use any enclosure, eg a surface plastic box and blanking plate or an adaptable box, but for a non strain relief enclosure, you *should* clip the cables to the joist, close to the enclosure[1]

Given the price of Wagoboxes though (ie bugger all) it is a pretty good default if they are big enough for the number of cables you require[2]

[1] Though there are probably millions of round junction boxes with no cable clipping floating around on top of ceilings all over the country... [2] Pleased to see they now do a "both ends entry" version - ideal for pass through tap-offs. Wish they'd hurry up and make a bigger version with several in slots around 3 sides - be really good for more complicated circuits and central heating.
Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 Those are nice boxes and are extremely good for T+E to flex conversions (eg downlighters) - slim, uncramped, excellent strain relief.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I've got the proper Wago boxes which work very well with either push-in or lever type Wagos. I have *lots* of Wagos (bought for boat wiring project) so I'll stick with them if I can.

Reply to
tinnews

I believe so.

Although it is not its stated purpose - and I have not tried, it looks like you could pass a 1.0/1.5mm2 through and take upto two tap-offs, one each end.

I have a very neat permiter run in basket tray for the main cables in my roof (ie where they will not get stepped on!). I plan to run a bus-cable round for permanant live, drop these boxes in the tray (or just under it) for tap offs, then take the tap-off feed to a second wagobox nearby on a joist, still near the roof perimiter (just under the edge floorboard probably) and bring all cables from one circuit there. I worked out a single wagobox could take a couple of switch drops (2way), a couple of lamp fitting load cables and a permanant live in fairly comfortably.

The only thing with a wagobox is it is not technically a "tool required to open" device which would be a no-no for an open accessible-by-kids location

- but I believe the industry standard answer to this is stick a tie-wrap around it.

In fact, I *think* the new wagobox-light has a couple of tie wrap slots, so they seem to have thought of this later.

Older original boxes could have a small hole drilled between lid and side for the same effect, though with the body mouldings, I do not think a tight tie wrap could be slid off anyway.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As you already have the correct bits, then use them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is a BS7671 amendment specifically re maintenance free JBs.

An installation note re conductor size & Wago...

- Wago Lever are limited to 2.5mm in solid conductor, the 4.0mm capacity mandates fine stranded conductor not 7-strand conductor as used in 4.0mm FTE or 4.0mm Singles (6242Y/B & 6491X/B respectively).

- Wago Push-In 3-Way will handle up to 6.0mm.

- Supp-Bonding, running a CPC back to CU, adding a CPC to a lighting circuit that lacks CPC etc all use 4.0mm 6491X/B in Gr/Ye as the smallest size singles that do not require additional mechanical protection.

TLC stock both types - just something to remember in case you need to joint larger sizes.

I still prefer accessible via a 1G or 2G box just above the skirting board re power or heating circuits, very useful for inspection & testing or extension.

Reply to
js.b1