Any used appliance parts places

Hi All,
I'm pretty sure my refrigerator thermostat is gone. It's a fairly
popular GE part WR9X411.
Most places on the net are over $60 and some over $80. Sears is the
lowest at $42, but shipping and tax add $13.
Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take
a chance. TIA
Rich
Reply to
RichK
"Dan C" wrote in message
I sure did, before I posted. None turned up. Plenty of people fix them, a few sell new parts, but none were selling used. Guess it would have to be someone living near an appliance junk yard, salvaging the most useful stuff.
Rich
Reply to
RichK
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Hardcrab"
I had some help with diagnosis in this News Group :-)
I concluded it was bad by carefully removing the control cover and tapping on the deforost timer, then on the thermostat. The thermostat answered and frig started. When it runs, it cools fine.
After that I removed the thermostat and took it apart. However, something went "boing" - a small leaf spring. So at this point I do need a thermostat. The frig temp was drifing, prior to failure, which is another hint.
Wish I was a bit more carful taking it apart. Maybe it was fixable. Perhaps just contact dirt - frig is 12 years old.
Rich
Reply to
RichK
Try calling a few smaller appliance stores and ask them to look out for one on the way to the dump. Many companies will remove your old appliance whan they deliver as a convenience to the customer. These units usually go straight to the dump without being canibalized first. If the part really is common to multiple models, it may not be long before someone is junking theirs for a new one.
Sears and Best Buy may not want to hastle with you but a small mom and pop store might do it to "get you by until you can afford a new fridge" from them because of the good will they spread.
Reply to
PipeDown
You might try to find a supplier that sells "universal or generic" parts. Last time I bought a cold control it was about $30. Wouldn't waste my time with a used part.
Colbyt
Reply to
Colbyt
Not questioning your ability to diagnose a problem, but:
Why do you think the thermostat is bad? Could be a refrigerant leak. Could be the compressor going bad, could be the defrost heater is bad (making it "sort of" cold in the freezer and not very cold in the refrigerator). Some units have fans that go bad. Either inside the unit or outside (for the condensor) and that could be keeping it from getting cold.
I only make these few suggestions because I hate to see you go to all the trouble of finding a thermostat and then it's not the thermostat that is bad. Remember: A thermostat is basically just an on/off switch. It's either on or it's off. The numbers just tell it how long to stay on.....
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab
"RichK" wrote in message
Diagnostics aside, how long can you search to save $5 on a part and risk food spoiling?
You may find an old GE sitting in the back of an appliance dealer wait to go to the junk yard. Good chance it is the same t'stat used in many other models also.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Site Timeline Threads