"Dirty" water supply

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:47:33 +0100, Jane Frith wrote:

So do you. The problem may well be the warm, moist air rising into that area from the machine after a wash, exacerbated by the detergent, etc.
Have you seen the mould anywhere else in your water supply? You haven't answered that.

Just out of interest Jane - is there a filter in the water intake to the machine? My washer/dryer has, but it's not very likely to trap much at a sort of biological level, which is probably/possibly your problem.
If you complain to the water company about your "occasionally discoloured" (!) water they should come and take samples from the first tap in the house (probably the kitchen cold tap) and report back on any findings.
Many (some?!) water companies openly publish detailed info on their water. In some cases you can enter your postcode online and get a fair amount of detail about the water that feeds your pipes...
HTH -
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
On Tuesday 14 May 2013 23:47 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

How can you be so sure that it's not caused by softener/detergent spash- back?
There are some quite fine sprays insideside the drawer and I fine a certain amount of washing agent residue up around the nozzels - potentially enough to grow cultures on, though I've not had that particular problem.

You are right - it was one of the first comments made by Andrew Gabriel and I agree it is the most likely problem. It is a possibility - my partner is going to see if they can take the fixed unit above the conditioner area apart to see if that is was happened.
e:

nd I

is going

o see

When the going gets tough, the "tough" turn to their partner...
MBQ
Man at B&Q wrote ...

Shirley you mean "nag" ?

f black

ppears to

gh the

roblem

check

ater"

I think you just have a problem, full stop. Everyone is giving you the same basic answer, here and in uk.l.m, why not heed the advice given?
MBQ

Perhaps you would care to engage brain. The water is in the machine, it is going through a grill onto the fabric conditioner (which, if you read the label, you would realise contains detergent) immediately below it. The mixture of conditioner and water splashes about inside and onto the conditioner grill where it is kept nice and warm and moist by the water elsewhere in the machine. Not all is rinsed through by the incoming water and mould grows on the residue which remains damp for days after the machine is finished. Each time you use the machine and conditioner you splash a bit more nutrient on the mould which increases in mass, If you use concentrated conditioner the problem is often worse which is why most washing machine instructions tell you to dilute conditioner before adding it to the dispenser and also to regularly run a max temp wash.
Your conclusion is that the water supply is the problem despite such black slime not apparently occurring elsewhere in the house and it being a common problem in washing machines (try "black mould in washing machine" in Google)? I agree, that innovative leap of logic did escape me.

Most will have worked out that it only occurs where there are both water and conditioner together inside the machine.
Most don't operate on "my mind is made up, please do not confuse me with facts"
Jane Frith wrote:

One thing you can be sure of is that Peter read and understood what you wrote. He is correct. Get your machine cleaned by someone who can reach the parts you can't. And get that person to recommend how you can keep it clean in future. Then pay them.
Edgar
Are you sure its not coming infrom a rotting feed hose?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jane Frith" < snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message
Many thanks to the following, much appreciated, good comments and advice:
Andrew Gabriel Tim Watts ARW Adam Funk polygonum Owain Frank Erskine Brian Gaff
The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls and fuckwits club" No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group as a whole a bad name.
Eric Peter Parry Bob Eager "Man at B&Q"
On May 15, 1:05 pm, Jane Frith wrote:

whole a

I think that comment says more about its writer than about the gentlemen heretofore mentioned.
Owain
Owain wrote ...

The kind of customer who's called a stupid bitch when the door shuts or the phone is put down. The type who calls a couple of times to confirm what she was told the first time. One who spots a microscopic grease mark on the item and demands a discount for the stress it's caused. Then wonders why she can't get the same company to return when she has another problem !
On Wednesday 15 May 2013 13:05 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable then I'm afraid the fault lies with the beholder.
Me OTOH everyone finds objectionable...

"She" did? I must have missed it.

Quite. And PP is a good chap, also, very kindly once sending me some PTFE insulated wire to replace some melted bits under the bonnet of my TVR and refusing payment.

Form a line, you.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 62nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

I'm not even sure what poor Bob is meant to have done as his sole contribution was both accurate and quite innocuous. I suspect this was someone who didn't want answers to a problem but merely to have their rather silly preconceptions confirmed.

Am I the only one getting a whiff of troll?
Tim
On 15/05/2013 22:50, Tim+ wrote:

Maybe?
Wonder if this is the same person?
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/furious-headteacher-threatens-to-expel-pupils-1049042
--
Rod

On 15/05/2013 22:52, polygonum wrote:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/furious-headteacher-threatens-to-expel-pupils-1049042

Whoops - meant to say, partner said something like "Bet she is a teacher, even a head..." when discussing the thread earlier.
--
Rod

On 15/05/2013 13:05, Jane Frith wrote:

An object lesson in engendering "good neighbourliness" and ensuring prompt and helpful future responses.
--
Rod