"Dirty" water supply

I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner. I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the conditioner tray during the rinse cycle. The low flow is caused by blockage of approx 2mm size holes (twenty in number) in to the conditioner tray. I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black "gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.
I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.
The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be and what could I wash the pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?

Fabric conditioner goes mouldy like this. It often gets splashed back into the water jets.
Also, the cheaper and eco washing detergents can leave a residue which will go moldy. Doesn't seem to happen with the better quality ones.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:55:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Many thanks - good points.
On Tuesday 14 May 2013 18:51 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Your gunge is probably growing in the machine - have you seen it anywhere else that is fed by mains water?
As for the tray - take it out (most unclip) and wash it in host soapy water with some bleach.
However, if you are concerned, a phone call to your water supplier might yeild something. Ask if you can have a water quality check done. I would imaging they will oblige (they have to check various points of the system so they must have a lab for it).

Tim Watts wrote:

What's wrong with using the dishwasher to clean it:-)?
--
Adam

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 19:49 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That too - but mine has a label insert that looks like it would get buggered up by a dishwasher, so I don't :)

On 2013-05-14, ARW wrote:

If I read the OP's post correctly, the gunge is in the "ceiling" of the slot that the drawer fits in. I discovered (the deadly) black mould in our previous washer-dryer & never quite managed to eradicate it, so I'm making some effort to prevent it in the new one (leaving the drawer out for a while in the morning if I'm not in the kitchen; wiping the slot out with surface wipes; spraying alcohol in it & brushing it).
On 14/05/2013 18:51, Jane Frith wrote:

I can't see them having any obligation beyond checking that the service pipe is delivering water of adequate quality. The the water, when fed to a washing machine and mixed with some indeterminate substance (by splash if not directly) then happens to support the growth of mould will be of no interest to them.
Black mould is the curse of washing machines. The only decent answer I know is to clean it sufficiently frequently that any significant build-up is avoided. And use a hot wash from time to time.
I hate posting a link to this newspaper, but...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2050239/How-washing-machines-familys-health-risk-Low-temperatures-mixed-loads-spreading-dangerous-bugs.html
Take due care as you read not to rush out and spend money on lots of products!
--
Rod

On May 14, 7:06 pm, polygonum wrote:

I just leave the porthole and detergent doors ajar when not using it.
Never have any mould problems. Detergent drawer gets a wipe-out every 5 years.
Owain
On 2013-05-14, Owain wrote:

I do to the extent that it's practical in the kitchen. (If I had a utility room, I'd leave them open most of the time.) But the main problem IME (at least on the previous machine; as I said, I'm trying preventive measures on the new one) is mould growth in the top of the cavity that the drawer fits into.
Some people have mentioned running a hot wash regularly to keep the machine clean. I use the 90° cycle once or maybe twice a month, but I don't see how that can help keep the drawer & slot clean, since it's a cold-fill-only machine: only the drum & output parts get hot.

You mean the drawer itself or the drawer slot?
On Wed, 15 May 2013 20:50:21 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

but I

But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got a scald from it or the hot steam...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 15/05/2013 21:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:

How is it going to get the drawer area up to >70 when most people don't do any washes above 60?
Andy
On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:56:45 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

The destructions for the machine will almost certainly have one saying do a boil wash every so often.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 2013-05-16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

They'd also get support calls like "there's steam seeping out of the drawer, what's wrong?!"

My manual says to use 90° once a month (I think). I do that anyway, because there are a few things I wash that hot, but I doubt most people use that programme much. I would like to have a proper cold wash, though; clothes that don't need hot water last longer if washed in cold.
On Thu, 16 May 2013 12:03:37 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Not sure which machine, but I've actually seen a reassurance about that in one WM manual.

I regularly wash such as white towels at 95 C.
--
Frank Erskine

On Thursday 16 May 2013 11:57 Frank Erskine wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Likewise - and it was not hard to convince SWMBO that the merits of giving the washing machine a good flush out made it worth it.

Jane Frith wrote ...

Typical. Any problem and it's "What's in it for me".
Try thinning out the conditioner with water or use another type.

Of course not. It is mould growing inside your machine because of detergents you are using. Why on earth should the water company be expected to do anything about it?

A combination of mould and bacteria growing in the damp atmosphere inside the machine and feeding on the detergent used in the rinse aid. More common if you use "ecofriendly" products.

The cure is to pour a kettle full of boiling water through the dispenser periodically and run the machine empty on its hottest cycle once a month.

Perhaps you would care to read what I said again: "The only thing flowing through the machine to that point is mains cold water" Most will have worked it out that the problem is before there has been any mixing with detergent or conditioner. Adam Funk and others understood plain English: why can't you? I will ignore the rest of the shit you have posted as you obviously have comprehension problems.