Dewalt or Makita?

Hi all,

I'm going to buy myself a shiny new SDS drill, after getting totally fed up with the bulk of my cheapo Argos Challenge one (7.5Kg!).

I'm trying to chose between the Dewalt DW566K (around 140 quid) and the Makita HR2450 (around 125).

Can anyone give me opinions on one or t'other? I've heard good things about both. Specs on the Makita seem a little better, but which is better made?

TIA, Jon

Reply to
Jon Read

Doesn't answer your question, but would you consider Bosch?

Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

Reply to
Mark Fry

Think you'll find there are a few DW 566 owned by people here - perhaps because it was about the first affordable quality one. I've no complaints with mine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can only speak for the DW566, but am totally happy with it bar one exception. The forward / reverse switch is right above the trigger, I have _one time only_ sworn at a hole only to discover I was drilling it in reverse. An error caused by the ease the switch can be knocked. Simplest plus points - the long cable meaning most tasks can be accomplished without needing the extension reel. You'll rarely go back to your heavyweight bruiser.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

The Makita is a class act, the other is a B&D.

Reply to
IMM

or Hitachi? ... I don't like DeWalt .....a couple of problems with some of the DeWalt tools I have, have not been dealt with well. I have a Hitachi Cordless that has out lived 2 DeWalts, even after being dropped in a bucket of 2 part PU foam.

Reply to
Simon

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I think I'll go for the Makita - once my hands and arms have recovered from using the Challenge!

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Read