New SDS Drill

Hi,
I need to buy a new SDS drill especially for drilling 22mm holes for into masonry/concrete ( boiler outlet pipes), any recommendations, I have a budget of approximately 120.00.
Regards

Bosch, De Walt and Makita all have good 2kg products in that price range.
Andy Hall wrote:

Have a look in Wickes. I have one of their 'Grey' range jobbies, made by Kress & I can't fault it.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
said:

Then don't drop it on its handle from three feet up else you'll see the case could be a little tougher. They did replace for free though.
Andy.
said:

They have two "grey" SDS drill made in Germany. The 30 job I saw for 99 "in store" in Dorking and the 99 job was 79. A three year guarantee which Makita, DeWalt, etc do not offer. The only choice in the 2kg range.
I would definitly go for one of these. I have the expensive job and it is a very good and well made product by a quality German maker.
Correction 130 not 30.
said:

I've got a Makita SDS no doubt at all, the best tool I've ever bought:))
--
Tony Sayer

said:

Even a cheapie SDS make a vast impression on people.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Another vote for the Wickes, it has a decent clutch as well
Hello wrote:

How many holes? I had an urgent need for an SDS drill yesterday (two burst pipes under the concrete bathroom floor) and the only solution was a forty quid Nutool one from my local hardware shop. It has worked fine for all I needed it for.
Ian
Hello wrote:

If you need a blunt instrument to make big holes quickly, then any of the shed SDS lumps will do the trick for well under your budget.
If you are looking for a long lasting tool with some finesse, then there is plenty of choice at your price point. Personally I went for the Makit HR2450X which has little more power than some in the class, and also has a very good speed controller allowing delicate work when required.
See the FAQ for more background on features:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm
--
Cheers,

John.

Just like to say thank you to all.
I will search for the Makita if not will go down to Wickes.

Hello wrote:

Have a look here for a good choice also:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=SDS%20Chisel%20Drills
--
Cheers,

John.

Hello wrote:

A fine choice if you actually need to spend that much. If its just for a bit of diy use I think it would be overkill though, Makita is more a trade tool. Bosch is around half the price and good.
2 musts with sds: get a 2kg one, not a 5kg, unless youre a weight lifter get one with all 3 functions, hammer, chisel, and both together. Many dont have all 3. get one that locks the tool in place when chiselling, I gather the cheaper ones let it wander like a useless thing.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Das why I got the Makita.. like a little road drill which came in very useful the other week:))

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Can't speak for the Bosch or any of the cheaper brands, but the 2kg Makita HR2450 will cover the whole range of jobs, from delicate drilling of fixing holes in precise patterns (thanks to the very smooth speed control) up to heavy outdoor work like drilling 1m deep holes into solid rock, chiselling concrete and hammering earth spikes in.
It obviously wouldn't do the heavy work forever, but somehow I always need to take a rest before the drill does.
I don't normally rhapsodise about tools; but as Tony, John R and others have said, this one is a real pleasure to own.
--
Ian White

The Wickes (Kress) drill is equally versatile and smooth.

If you actually owned a Makita you might be in a position to judge. But then you'd not need to buy a Wickes.
--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Jeez didn't think it could go that deep;!..

Blimey!, I've got some of those to do shortly and never thought of that!..
Well done for that idea..

Yep wonder how many uses one "could" think up;-)..

--
Tony Sayer