New SDS Drill

Hi,

I need to buy a new SDS drill especially for drilling 22mm holes for into masonry/concrete ( boiler outlet pipes), any recommendations, I have a budget of approximately £120.00.

Regards

Reply to
Hello

Bosch, De Walt and Makita all have good 2kg products in that price range.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have a look in Wickes. I have one of their 'Grey' range jobbies, made by Kress & I can't fault it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How many holes? I had an urgent need for an SDS drill yesterday (two burst pipes under the concrete bathroom floor) and the only solution was a forty quid Nutool one from my local hardware shop. It has worked fine for all I needed it for.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Then don't drop it on its handle from three feet up else you'll see the case could be a little tougher. They did replace for free though.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

If you need a blunt instrument to make big holes quickly, then any of the shed SDS lumps will do the trick for well under your budget.

If you are looking for a long lasting tool with some finesse, then there is plenty of choice at your price point. Personally I went for the Makit HR2450X which has little more power than some in the class, and also has a very good speed controller allowing delicate work when required.

See the FAQ for more background on features:

John Rumm

Just like to say thank you to all.

I will search for the Makita if not will go down to Wickes.

Reply to
Hello

Have a look here for a good choice also:

John Rumm

They have two "grey" SDS drill made in Germany. The £30 job I saw for £99 "in store" in Dorking and the £99 job was £79. A three year guarantee which Makita, DeWalt, etc do not offer. The only choice in the 2kg range.

I would definitly go for one of these. I have the expensive job and it is a very good and well made product by a quality German maker.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Correction £130 not £30.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

I've got a Makita SDS no doubt at all, the best tool I've ever bought:))

Reply to
tony sayer

Even a cheapie SDS make a vast impression on people.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A fine choice if you actually need to spend that much. If its just for a bit of diy use I think it would be overkill though, Makita is more a trade tool. Bosch is around half the price and good.

2 musts with sds: get a 2kg one, not a 5kg, unless youre a weight lifter get one with all 3 functions, hammer, chisel, and both together. Many dont have all 3. get one that locks the tool in place when chiselling, I gather the cheaper ones let it wander like a useless thing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Das why I got the Makita.. like a little road drill which came in very useful the other week:))

Reply to
tony sayer

Can't speak for the Bosch or any of the cheaper brands, but the 2kg Makita HR2450 will cover the whole range of jobs, from delicate drilling of fixing holes in precise patterns (thanks to the very smooth speed control) up to heavy outdoor work like drilling 1m deep holes into solid rock, chiselling concrete and hammering earth spikes in.

It obviously wouldn't do the heavy work forever, but somehow I always need to take a rest before the drill does.

I don't normally rhapsodise about tools; but as Tony, John R and others have said, this one is a real pleasure to own.

Reply to
Ian White

The Wickes (Kress) drill is equally versatile and smooth.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Jeez didn't think it could go that deep;!..

Blimey!, I've got some of those to do shortly and never thought of that!..

Well done for that idea..

Yep wonder how many uses one "could" think up;-)..

Reply to
tony sayer

A thin 1m bit will tend to bow in the middle, so you have to start with say a 450mm bit. With some side support, it's surprising how much of the impact does reach the far end.

Earth spikes don't make very good drill bits, so if the soil is stony, use an under-sized SDS bit to drill a pilot hole. This will clear the way down for the first metre. Then use a 0.5in square drive adapter to drive the spike, with a socket of suitable size so the rod is a slide fit.

FYI the 9mm copper plated spikes from Screwfix are rubbish. The copper is very thin and easily scratched, and once the steel is exposed the rest of the copper corrodes away inside a few months.

Reply to
Ian White

No, these are the proper Furze extensible ones, usually knocked into place with a sledge hammer, though they do say they can be power driven to some 30 feet or more!;)

Reply to
tony sayer

If you actually owned a Makita you might be in a position to judge. But then you'd not need to buy a Wickes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)