decent leyboard.

The stick on letters that I put on this logicrap KB after 6 months have, a year later, also died.

What is the best keboard for keycap legend longevity?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Based on what we see at work, Microsoft branded ones, even though I hate to say it, seem OK. OEM Lenovo OK too. Logitech definitely seems to wear.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Why do you need the keycaps - nobody looks at the keyboard as they type. (unless going for one of the weirder exotic shift characters)

A, E, I, O and N, T wear out first typing English text.

So long as the oddball characters are legible it isn't a problem if the most commonly used letters have worn off your keyboard. More of a problem is when the space bar or return key becomes intermittent.

Reply to
Martin Brown

IBM Model M. I've been using this one daily since 1989.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How about people with increasingly arthritic hands, for one ?

( I could have just suggested people who simply never bothered to learn to touch type, of whom there are countless millions, but arthritic hands or similar looks more of a clincher)

michael adams

michael adams

Well, this Acorn one with clunky keys is 30 years old, and cleans up like new. Shared with the PC desktop via a KVM switch. But doesn't have 'window' keys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The ones with the individual led backlit keytops.

They have to be double injection moulded.

Reply to
Ray

I'll bet that one has micro-switches. They were magic!

Reply to
pinnerite

Well why in the name of all that is Holy are we *still* using keyboards and mice in 2019 ? (Brian will appreciate the sentiment).

Where's all this lovely "AI" stuff that is supposed to be able to divine the most obscure inferences from our every breath, if it can't work out how to take orders from a regular human ?

I am beginning to suspect there's no "I" in "AI".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think I have been using this Microsoft one for about 20 years, and the legend on the A is perhapss very slightly faded, but still quite readable.

Reply to
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher explained on 03/12/2019 :

Laser etched key caps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

pinnerite pretended :

The best ones used hall effect switches.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Oh... so a ghastly 'gamers' KB?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ive got three logitek and two MS all wore out sitting right here

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Essentially because keyboards still work best with bulk text if you can touch type and even if you cant.

The best of the smart speakers do that.

Reply to
Ray

Nope, a normal keyboard with backlit keytops.

are wired ones too if you prefer those.

Reply to
Ray

Open-plan offices screwed that idea. Some are too noisy for even non-AI to understand what is being said, IYSWIM!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have a Digital Equipment LK450, of similar vintage.

Nice solid clunky keys.

Reply to
Andrew

Faster than talking ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a text to speech app. But I still need to type

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher