decent leyboard.

Thought what was known as an IBM keyboard (like this one) had membrane switches? Nice and easy to clean if you spill coffee on it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of them needs a serious talking to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the spun-off Model M factory.

Bob Eager

I have many Logitech MK270 keyboards, its keys do rub off but it is dirt cheap, or was. A quick look on Amazon shows even cheaper stuff now.

The Amazon basics model looks similar to the MK270 but is only £15.99.

The Tecknet bluetooth ultra-slim also looked good at £13.99, getting rid of the number keyboard allows better posture with the mouse.

I also have a Logitech K360 which I use as a compact TV keyboard, its letters seem a little more robust. It is ok.

Of course if you are an Apple man may I recommend the Apple Magic Keyboard at only £132.00.

Reply to
Pancho

Much more reliable than talking and works better in open plan offices and even at home so that everyone doesn?t have to listen to your yapping.

One fella I talk to on a big forum does claim to do all his bulk text input by voice but he is the only one I know who does.

Reply to
Ray

It depends how well the lettering is embedded into the key caps. Back many years ago the old Sinclair +and ql keyboards, although not very nice feel wise never wore out as they were made from two different coloured plastics. I am not sure why others never used this approach.

Luckily I do not need to see them so I've no idea if this Logitech wireless is wearing or not! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Filco do 'ninja' keycaps, where the legend is on the _front_ of the keycap. That works pretty well, and looks quite good.

My old-ish Cherry Keyboards have Double-shot keycaps I think, so the problem doesn't arise.

Reply to
jkn

AKA Shot-moulded keys.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Just look for double shot (or two shot) moulded keycaps. Then you need to decide on switch type (mechanical or membrane). Cherry Brown in my case. I bought a Ducky keyboard - solidly built, with a metal plate base for weight and stability.

One thing to watch, depending upon the age of your machine(s) - we have a couple that won't go into the Bios with a USB keyboard and so I have kept an old PS2 keyboard to hand.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But are not going to be good in an office full of people using computers and definitely where the information is restricted and on a need to know basis.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They are all shot moulded. The ones that don?t wear off the letters are double shot, two colors of plastic.

Reply to
Ray

I've got a cheap as chips Cherry keyboard which I've been using for at least 10 years and all letters still in good nick. Also has a USB connection, can't be doing with this wireless stuff! John M

Reply to
John Miller

At £120+++ they bloody well should be..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
Mike Clarke

No idea but the one I'm using on this Mac is from 2011 is working fine and so are the ledends, just need a quick clean one every 3 months or so with one of those wipes. I've never had keycap legends disapear unless it;s under grime or dirt, and a suitable wipe has always sorted it. The again even the labs dell PC keyboards haven't lots legends even with student use.

but stuck on legands I'd always consider a bit of a crap option.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Generally... most people find it very difficult to talk precisely enough to do accurate bulk text entry by voice.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's 2019. We're supposed to be happy with "AI" permeating decision making at every level from government downwards, and it can't cope with normal speech.

*Someones* full of BS ....
Reply to
Jethro_uk

The way you type sometimes does it really matter? You?ll still be banging out missives in some sort of pidgin .

GH

Reply to
Marland

Some things are much harder to do than others.

Yes you are.

Reply to
Ray

Well it can cope with normal speech to a reasonable extent, however the difficulty is that the way we normally speak, does not sound anything like the way we normally write.

Reply to
John Rumm