Cutting Rafters

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

Reply to
Al

Depends on what angle you want your fascia boards at. If you are not having fascias then it matters not.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Depends on what you are building.

Reply to
newshound

Aha. So that's why you often see them cut vertical, then? I hadn't thought of that; thanks!

Reply to
Al

depends on soffits etc.

I square em both ways to horiz. and vertical

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia board and gutters etc:

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

Reply to
John Rumm

fascia in this context, generally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't believe no one's mentioned barge boards. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Huh? Or was that just a comment on spelling?

(which if so, is a bit rich coming from one so accomplished at hitting all the right keys in the right order!)

Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

Wood preserver on the cut ends does no harm.

Reply to
Tim Lamb