Curious said Alice!

I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Were you launching the .pdf directly from FF Tim? FWIW, whilst that often works for me here (XP / FF), it's often 'safer' to download the .pdf and then print it from Acrobat / whatever (I can't answer your specific question). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Er... I was using Firefox to access the Barclays site. Visible on screen OK. Saved to my downloads file and then attempted to print through Acrobat.

They'll do the job by telephone but I was planning to invest 63p rather than risk a queue on their helpline.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I presume you've tried the obvious and closed both versions down before trying to open the PDF again?

And, in the words of help desks everywhere, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I recently received a PDF which was only openable and printable from one of the three operating systems I have available.

"Portable", my arse.

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I recently received an airline boarding pass - one page of A4, which my printer refused to print, throwing a page with an "Out of memory" error.

It has 128MB installed.

Aye. I suspect Microsoft's crappy "print to PDF" may be responsible, but am speculating.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That is not a huge amount for a complex bitmap.

at 1200 dpi and three bytes per pixel, and about 70 sq in of paper, that's easily more than 128Mbyte.

Postscript itself is an abortion that not even adobe can deal with. I am always surprised when it works at all.

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not unreasonably so, IMNHO.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Use Foxit reader works and its free!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not on the latest version of Elemental! I am told that you have to add a whole library to get proper results. The web is full of tales of woe. Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.

Reply to
Capitol

Never heard of it.

Linu8x printing uses CUPS and ghostscript to generate PDFs.

Eh? I have to add 'whole new libraries' lmost any tie I install anythng anyway...

The

NOt for print to PDF.

Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.

N idea what okular is, either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you use OS X, you get print-to-PDF for free in all applications. It's built-in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

so it is for Linux. Its part of CUPS.

Which is the same system OSX uses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Elemental is a stripped down version of Ubuntu with IMO a better UI.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm seeing more dodgy PDFs too. Foxit or Word or WPS sometimes work.

Reply to
newshound