Curious said Alice

Mail attachment. FFOX HTML doc. 357kB pdf

Printer refuses to print complaining about insufficient memory.

On previous similar occasions, printing from a saved version has worked. Not this time. W7 pro

Any suggestions. I suppose I could ask them to post in a different format.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Save the HTML and print from another browser?

When faced with an 'awkward' PDF, one thing that sometimes works is to roundtrip it PDF -> Postscript -> PDF, as it shakes out a lot of the PDF weird stuff (encryption, forms, etc). I use Ghostscript to do that:

pdf2ps input.pdf middle.ps ps2pdf middle.ps output.pdf

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Is it multi-page or just big images?

If multi page, print ranges, if big images open in e.g. gimp and resize them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What does it look like in a PDF editor? Try opening it in PDF exchange or even Word and then resave as another name.

Chances are an insanely large vector, JPG or bitmap image is embedded in the PDF so that it literally causes the printer to run out of memory.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just 5 pages of print.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. It includes their company logo on each page and there is a copy of a photo I sent them.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I knew this would get tricky! I'll try a different browser. Chrome must be useful for something.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Well, there you go. Prints ok in Chrome!!

Thanks all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try opening the saved version in a different PDF reader

Try Sumatra PDF - Free

It's got me out of a few problems that Adobe has made a meal of.

Reply to
alan_m

Printed ok in Chrome. I've pinned your link for future problems. Ta.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is also Edge (allegedly also a variant of Chrome)

Reply to
Andrew

The embedded PDF readers in browsers are somewhat less sophisticated than the stand alone ones - so just saving and opening in Adobe reader or Foxit reader etc will often fix it.

You can also try printing it to a PDF printer driver (older version of foxit reader for Win 7), then try that PDF on a real printer.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe your printer needs more memory :-)

If the printer has a Test Page, some of the Test Page outputs include a summary of the memory present in the printer. You may have a Test Page that was printed some time ago, so you don't have to waste another sheet to check.

Printers generally have one SIMM or DIMM socket, with maybe a lock latch or two (to release the device).

So when you do a capacity upgrade, you get to keep the original piece of memory in the antistatic bag the new one comes in. Printers don't usually have a multitude of memory slots for this sort of upgrade.

Just "pull the 32MB one and insert a 64MB one", as an example of an upgrade. You do that with the power off on the printer (so no power in memory socket). The memory is keyed, so it only "seats" in the socket one way, and jams the other way. Make sure you work in good lighting, so you can see the details during removal.

Generally, the memory devices have tiny capacity. If a person ever upgrades one of these silly printers, they just stuff the "max value" the printer takes. Done. It will be as much time and trouble to find a 256MB one as a 64MB one, because the memory type is likely ancient.

Not all printer types work this way, but some do. And printing the Test Page (printer controls), is a start. I don't think my inkjet for example, has any user replaceable electronic parts in it. But then, the inkjet also does not complain about running out of memory, "so we're even".

Printing on the two printer types, works differently. The inkjet can stop if it needs to, and buffer up more data if it likes. Other printer types "cannot stop". Thus they emit these geriatric complaints about memory.

I used to put up with this stuff at work, many years ago. That out of memory thing.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Have you saved it and loaded into word. I use an oldish version of word, and then save it as a .doc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That reads like a big step for my technical capability. Having finally found how to print a test page, I can say it doesn't appear to include any reference to memory. Long list of drivers:-(

Machine is an Epson ET-2650 inkjet. Jet clogging so far has been better than previous versions.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <tn1dci$1k2b1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Not tried that. Don't normally get this attachment format.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One of their lasers has a page about memory messages.

*******

I wouldn't think an inkjet would have such things (a DIMM for example).

"... oversize .AUD file in the program data. The file name is EPAUDF01.AUD – Deleting this file fixed the problem immediately."

C:\ProgramData\EPSON\PRINTER

"This is on a Windows 7 64 system with Epson 3880 locally connected via USB but I think it has wider application.

The problem was that Epson in its wisdom creates a file:

C:\ProgramData\EPSON\PRINTER\EPAUDF01.AUD

Normally it's just a couple of K, however it can grow to megabytes and results in the above symptoms. To cure it, I just deleted the file. It was recreated back to 2K and everything now runs smoothly.

I have no idea what's in the file, it's a binary file I can't read, and I have no idea what causes it to grow so large, but that's what happens."

ProgramData is not the same as Program Files. The program keeps temporary assets in there or state info.

Maybe the .AUD has something to do with spooling ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I had a rebadged IBM (Olivetti?) that took DIMMs. Definitely inkjet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Stretching my capabilities there:-) I could probably manage a reinstall or just wait for the problem to worsen. Snip

Reply to
Tim Lamb

An inkjet can stop the transport if it wants, and prepare for the next segment of the page.

On lasers, the transport seemed to be smoother. No audio sounds of stepper motors in it. Once the page printing process starts, it has to finish.

The first laser we interfaced to at work, it had a video interface, sync signals, and a 2Mbit/sec video signal. And that was used to modulate a HeNe laser (and presumably a rotating mirror inside). The laser printer in that case, was as dumb as a post. No CPU. No Ethernet either. Like driving a TV set (almost). It's worst feature was that the drum was easy to scratch, and replacement glass drums were very expensive. It used liquid toner (toner particles suspended in an organic solvent, flammable). We never had a fire. Shocking :-) You could still smoke in the office back then.

Paul

Reply to
Paul