Stopping pipe expansion movement noise

In the landing floor I have some long pipe runs (with expansion joints at the mid point) that are noisy when heating/cooling. I've tried slightly enlarging the joist notch sizes and fitting extra felt but haven't been able to stop the noise; I'm now wondering about getting some thin PTFE sheet to fit around the pipes. Has anyone here tried PTFE in joist notches? Is there something else I can try?

Reply to
nothanks

Adequate notches and felt should stop creaks. It did for me. Are you sure you haven't just missed a spot? Locating sound can sometime be deceptive.

Reply to
Pancho

Wrapping bits of "horsehair type" felt has always worked for me, are you sure the noise isn't originating from where the radiators hang on their brackets, being transmitted along the pipework? Have you got the little plastic inserts that fit between radiator and brackets ... seems most installers chuck them in the bin.

Andy Burns

I've had good results with rubber sheet, eg foam or EPDM. That's in existing brackets rather than joist notches. Also these:

existing non-rubber clamps.

Although that's for water-flow (pump) noise, rather than expansion noise - maybe you want to allow the pipes more free movement for expansion.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There are several locations but the worst is close the expansion joints. The longest pipe run is about 17m so I suppose it may be the expansion joints moving sideways - more investigation needed

Reply to
nothanks

The rad manufacturer insists that inserts aren't needed and that they design their brackets to work without. In practice the rads with 2 brackets are OK but one of those with 3 brackets is noisy, I suspect they're slightly misaligned

Reply to
nothanks

Many of my pipes run through holes in the joists , some I suspect are too tight a fit and these cause noise every time the heating cycles. Any advice on how to resolve this issue

Reply to
Robert

No advice, but it's scary how similar the sound is to a drip ... drip ... drip

Reply to
Jethro_uk