Expansion and contraction piping noise

Whenever the hot water is used, these is loud, very annoying "ticking" sound coming from the pipes inside the wall. It starts rapidly and slows down. Since the house is still under 1-year builder's warranty, we had the subcontractor who installed the plumbing system look at the problem. Their response is "normal expansion and contraction noise of plastic pipes", and there's nothing they can do about it.

Are they telling the truth? Is there any way to fix it? Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

It is "normal" for both plastic and copper pipe (normal to expand and contract) . The question is how the pipe was mounted and secured. Properly done there is little noise. The question is what is properly done.

While it is possible to eliminate almost all such noise, I don't believe I have ever seen a home built to that standard. Most people just live with a little to avoid the large expense of doing it better.

Most of the time when there are complaints it is do to the pipes being too tightly clamped. The pipe needs to move as it expands and contracts. Loosing the clamps and many adding some rubber wraps may take care of a problem, if you can get to it to fix it.

I suspect it should have been done a little better and been a lot quieter, but I doubt if you are going to be able to get them to fix it if it means breaking into the walls to do it.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yep, he's correct.

A copper system, at least, makes a terrible racket in the wall, if it is clamped tight to the studs.

Expansion and contraction, and it rubs hard on the studs that it is too tightly mounted too. I restricts the pipe movement, so it slides on the wood studs. Ticking, banging, and sometimes groaning noises.

Best--- Ron

Reply to
Ron G