Dishwasher causing hot water pipes to hammer

About 2 weeks ago, only when running the dishwasher, the hot water pipes start hammering. If I open the kitchen faucet (hot only) I can get it to quit until something in the next cycle causes it to start again. This only happens with the dishwasher, and only the hot water. Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Terry

Reply to
Terry Siegersma

In my experience, most likely the dishwasher fill valve is failing and chattering.

While air chambers and water hammer arrestors might solve it for now, you'll probably wind up replacing the solenoid valve.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi,

Hammer that goes "bang, bang, bang, bang" REALLY fast and then stops after a little bit? Or is it only ONE loud BANG? If it goes "bang, bang, bang etc" then that is very likely the fill valve about to fail. What happens is the pin can get sticky and not QUITE shut off the water, so then it shuts off, lets some in, shuts off, lets some in etc and this creates a hammering. A new fill valve will fix this. If it is only ONE loud bang then perhaps a pipe hold down has come loose and a water pipe is banging, check the hold down clips.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Reply to
Terry Siegersma

Glad to read you found the problem. Thanks for the follow up, so few ever bother. When searching the NG archives, it's nice to find the eventual solution posted too.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~