Wood Expansion/Contraction Calculator

I created a webpage that lets you enter your lumber species, starting and final moisture content and width and it will calculate your lumber expansion or contraction.

Let me know what you think.

Enjoy! AND Merry Christmas!

brian

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote in news:3dad83e7-df52-4ea1-81f7-81db1fd5a138 @googlegroups.com:

final moisture content and width and it will calculate your lumber expansion or contraction.

Cool. Thanks.

A few suggestions, though, Brian:

  1. Don't clear the form when you display the answer. I'd like to see what I entered for species, moisture content, and width. This would also make it possible to see the dimensional change for different widths of the same species at the same moisture contents, without having to re-enter anything except the width.

  1. Round the answer to either three or two decimal places. "... contract by

0.13872 inches" is a bit overly precise, dontcha think? :-)

  1. Some folks might find it useful to have the dimensional change shown in fractional inches as well as decimal inches.

  2. Our neighbors to the north might find it useful to be able to specify dimensions, and get their answers, in metric units. Perhaps some of them will comment on that, and on whether mm or cm would be more convenient.
Reply to
Doug Miller

final moisture

moisture contents,

0.13872 inches" is

fractional inches

dimensions, and get

on whether

Thanks for the suggestions. The precision has already been adjusted to thou inches.

This is a work in progress (I just created it today). Please check back as I continue to improve it and make it prettier. :)

Reply to
brian

final moisture

moisture contents,

0.13872 inches" is

fractional inches

dimensions, and get

on whether

Ok. I've implemented most of your suggestions. Still need to work on metric conversion which should be straight forward.

Reply to
brian

moisture content and width and it will calculate your lumber expansion or contraction.

moisture percentages would be nice. Green, air dried, kiln dried, after six months in an air conditioned home, etc.

May not be important, but your form will accept percentages above 100. Sanity checks are typically done on input forms to prevent people from entering stuff like this,

William Bagwell

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote in news:fe356ea4-e7eb-4ff0-a563- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

conversion which should be straight forward.

Nice. One more suggestion: decrease the vertical height of the form, so that the answer is visible without scrolling.

Reply to
Doug Miller

final moisture content and width and it will calculate your lumber expansion or contraction.

Thank you.

Check! :)

Reply to
brian

final moisture

moisture contents,

0.13872 inches" is

Implemented this. Now gives fraction to the nearest 1/16". This was a tricky one for me. :)

dimensions, and get

on whether

Reply to
brian