curious! Said Alice...

Wife's new credit card got a transaction refusal at a London restaurant....

On the way home Tesco Hatfield had no diesel so we trawled around several dimly remembered outlets that now no longer sell fuel. Long queue at a Shell garage which actually had pumps only for an attendant to erect barriers across the entrance and explain that their till had broken down....

Something going around?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I once managed to get the Windows BSOD on three different Barclays ATMs within an hour. One of them actually rebooted itself while I watched. The fourth one was an older (DOS?) green screen one that let me have the cash without a problem.

Reply to
John Williamson

No queues, or outages spotted ...

OS/2 I think

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , John Williamson escribió:

At an ATM I used in Spain recently - shoved my card in before looking at the screen more closely. Biiiig mistake. The ATM software was running in a window with a title bar. The window title? "Microsoft Virtual PC

2004" !

Machine was very confused. Although the keypad worked, the screen buttons didn't, and I couldn't get it to do anything useful. Eventually persuaded it to give me my card back... whew. Or so I thought.

I put the card in another, different machine, at a different bank and got the message "Your card is damaged, please contact your bank". Stranded with no way of getting money out.

Next time you put your card in an ATM, ponder the fact that you may be entrusting your bank account details to Mickey$oft software that's nearly a decade old with all the vulns that have been discovered since, and no doubt many that haven't.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Barclays are still using Windows XP pro on their terminals, linking to a (hopefully secure) back end data warehouse.

Reply to
John Williamson

I dropped in to get petrol at a Shell station this afternoon - and some chap in uniform asked if I wanted him to help and fill my tank. As I already had the hose in hand,it was a bit late to bother - and I thought nothing of it, but I can't remember that happening in so many years, it was odd.

Reply to
polygonum

I'd heard they were doing it, but not any any Shell station I've used

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that - I guess that is exactly what it was.

Wonder how they will achieve that with no cost to customer as claimed? Will the costs all come from their profits?

Reply to
polygonum

By advising customers to use their premium fuels?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So not exactly no cost to customer! They were an awful lot more expensive than basic fuels last time I checked. So I no longer even check. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Our car manages better fuel economy* on their premium fuel, which almost makes up for the difference in price against their standard one.

*This is an eco bollox Euro 5 engine and I suspect that if there is any actual advantage in using said fuel, it's going to be in a very modern engine like this one with all the OTT emissions nonsense.
Reply to
Lee

When I worked for Esso (many years ago) it was all 'attended'. The profits came from selling other things. I guess attended service these days would also open up other income streams.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Am surprised to see that!

Last time I tried such a fuel it was in a distress situation - needed fuel and ordinary unleaded had run out. Car seemed to run OK most of the time but every so often the engine speed rose or fell - towards something like 2500 or 3000 rpm. It was as if the engine management was unable to cope and so threw in some sort of default values! That was very early 1990s.

Reply to
polygonum

The amount of management on this engine is bordering on ridiculous though, f'instance it has four separate HEGOs and two knock sensors for reasons I can't really fathom...

Reply to
Lee

My eurobollox5 car costs 2 or 3p more per mile on V-Power diesel than supermarket diesel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Knock Knock ... Who's there?

Reply to
polygonum

Ours is petrol, but I'm not surprised - works for us is all I can say.

Reply to
Lee

Doris

Reply to
Lee

Workfair - DSS Slavery or whatever is the current buzz word

Reply to
Eric

The nearest one to me on that list used to be very good for price - it was one of the last in the area to raise prices and one of the first to lower them.

It's just sort of mid-range at the mo (ca. 133.9p/l for unleaded).

There's an Esso one locally that a week or so ago was charging

139.9p/l whilst a Total one 200 yds away was charging 131.9p/l. Guess which one was empty of cars virtually all the time...

The cheapest locally today (yesterday!) is 130.9 at a Tesco place.

Reply to
Frank Erskine