CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

No, you have to be competent. Doing it wrong is proof you weren't and will get you done. Doing it right is proof you were competent and you are OK.

CORGI are just there to look after themselves and do not hold the interests of the consumer above their own.

Reply to
dennis

They certainly don't. When I had the problems with the one I mentioned earlier I wrote to them documenting my tale supported by the evidence of the handwritten note he'd left - I wasn't present when he'd called. I included his registered business address. What he tried to pull amounted to fraud - not just incompetence.

I got no reply despite a follow up letter and phone call. They are simply a business given some credibility by government legislation without ever earning that privilege.

I should point out a CORGI registered fitter recommended by the boiler maker sorted the problem in minutes and sorted the mess the original one had left.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The flaw in your assertation is that "competent" is defined by CORGI as having demonstrated just enough knowledge to get past an assessor who works for a profit making training/assessing organisation. Many of these organisations do just enough to get past their verifyers and have a vested interest in keeping their pass numbers up so as to generate more trade

You do NOT need qualifications, you do need knowledge sufficient to install and commission the particular equipment properly. I used to find there were two opposing poles of d-i-y ers, those who read ALL the literature, took every care, and made a far better job than most professionals, and those who didn't! The first were absolutely competent the second obviously not.

No he isn't but you are (and at the same time consigning yourself to the considered status of wanker)

Reply to
cynic

@@ wrote in

The word "forum" may also say something ;)

Reply to
PeterMcC

Lost your argument, I see.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Of course CORGI fitters are safe

dare you slag them off:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Let's hope you know more about gas fitting than you do about usenet.

Reply to
John Rumm

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

Reply to
nobby

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:17:13 UTC, "nobby" top posted:

Almost as much of a scandal as Wayne Rooney...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wayne Rooney probably knows more about gas fitting!

Reply to
dennis

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting would be extremely lucky to earn £400 any day, never mind 'most days'. £200 I could understand, though even then, it would not be common to earn that every working day. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I was going to make a comment on that little bit of illiteracy, but then ...

life's too short

Reply to
geoff

There are different types of work (according to CORGI). Therefore, not all CORGIs are regarded as competent for boilers, by CORGI - let alone some of the posters here. :-)

Reply to
Rod

that's silenced the majority of you fuckwits....or are you out delivering pizzas.

Reply to
**j

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:02:56 UTC, "@@" top posted:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And you're just a moron.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah, we all dream of being CORGI fitters....

Reply to
Steve Walker

A typical CORGI fitter earns £100k? I think not.

Reply to
Steve Walker

None that I know of. However, I have heard many stories of cowboy corgis making large amounts by scamming people with unnecessary and vastly overpriced work - such as a £1,000 repair to a thermostat on a pensioners boiler reported in a local paper recently, but I have no evidence of such. Perhaps you do?

Reply to
Peter Parry

I think it would largely depend to what extent your moral code allowed you to rip off your customers.

Likely to make 400 a day you would have to be willing to frog-march little old ladies to the post office to withdraw their savings.

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager