Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On 20/08/2018 09:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:

This one has a hinge in the middle - so you can use it pistol style or straight:
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-td022dse-7-2v-pencil-impact-driver-with-2x-batteries-battery-charger-phillips-bit-drill-holster-and-carry-case
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:23:22 +0100, John Rumm

I deffo need to see if anyone I know has an ID and give it a go.
I don't (currently) have any other cordless power tools (than the Fat Max drill, never needed them <ducks>) to already have batteries and charger so that makes it an expensive entry to the field. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 20/08/2018 12:06, T i m wrote:

If that is a re-badged DeWalt, would it not make sense to get an 18V DeWalt ID "body only"?
Having said that there seems to be only limited choice of dewalt/fatmax body only tools... e.g:
https://www.trade-point.co.uk/departments/stanley-fatmax-cordless-18v-brushless-brushless-impact-driver-fmc647b-bqgb/1682357_TP.prd#
which is a bit more pricey since its the brushless version.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:58:54 +0100, John Rumm

Yes / no. It may be that for the cost of the body only I could get a complete stand-alone solution that would be more than adequate for my needs, given that it may not be as versatile as my existing (hammer) drill driver ... or, it wouldn't be the best example of the genre for a given price.
Also, the advantage to *me* of a ID over my existing (and so far, perfectly adequate) DD, could be less than that for those who sound like they might have 'weak' DD's?

Sure.
The 'hype' here from some re ID's makes me want to give one a go (I particularly respect your POV because I know you do your research, do lots of nice work and have a wide range of tools, including (probably) 'good' DD's) but I keep harking back to the diy wiki that seems to share my questions / reservations on ID's over DD's for 'most' applications?
How much would I want to spend if my existing DD does (guess) 90% of what any single tool could do (for *me*) and how much work of the type where an ID might be 'better' do I do and so at what cost.
I'm not suggesting you are trying to pressure or convince me to get an ID of course <g>, I'm just thinking out loud why / how / when an ID could be 'worth it' to me? (Considering I rarely even need an excuse to buy more tools). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 20/08/2018 13:28, T i m wrote:

If I were only allowed one rotational cordless tool, then I would go for the 18V combi drill, since its the most versatile and will replace a mains drill in most situations. I use mine for drilling - even with hole saws and big augers, mixing plaster / small quantities of mortar etc and various other jobs. It will also drive screws just fine. Armed with some Bosch multimaterial bits it will even make a credible job on hard masonry, when you don't want to get the SDS out.
If I were adding a ID at that point, then I am torn between the 18V and the much smaller lighter 10.8V, but I would probably for for the 18V ID as it is fast and powerful - it will hurl screws into joists, and studwork very quickly and easily, and can also be fairly fine and controlled if required. For building work I would not want to be without it. However keep in mind I do a reasonable amount of what one might class as building rather than more traditional DIY.
The smaller lighter one however is nice for smaller trim type work, and furniture making - while I could cope without it (and indeed did for years), its a "nice to have". (and in reality is has a much driving torque as my big combi).
This is the 10.8V set I got (note there is another version about that looks similar but only has a DD rather than a combi - so read the spec carefully). This is the bag I would grab for many "fixing" applications.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)34783142&sr=8-26&keywords=makita+10.8V+impact+driver

Probably worth keeping in mind that much of that wiki article was written some time back when IDs were way more expensive and there was much less in the way of choice. Also some of the content was directed at the frequent discussions going on here at the time suggesting that IDs were good general replacement for a drill, or an angle drill, or just confusing them with the mechanic's tool of the same name.
Might be time to tweak it a bit.

Much will come down to how much work you do with it, and also what type you do. Not to mention how comfortable you are with powered screw driving in general - some of it takes practice to develop technique to do it easily.

Nope not trying to pressure, more a suggestion that it would be worth having a play with one and getting a feel for it. You may be pleasantly surprised...
Some years back I did that with the one you see in the wiki - which at the time cost me about £70 "body only" IIRC (where buying a full kit would have been more like £300). I figured I could always stick it on ebay if it did not work out. I have since acquired more of them on the grounds that I found it more than good enough to warrant it.
I think there are three tools where I have had that kind of "wow, that is so much better" moment... using a quality jigsaw after the DIY spec ones, using a SDS drill after a normal "hammer" drill, and using an impact driver after doing lots of powered driving with the combi drill.
(and keep in mind I built a whole loft conversion with that combi and was not in any way dissatisfied with it - I rate it as an outstandingly good tool)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 18:14:38 +0100, John Rumm

Ok, so we agree on that then. ;-)

And for me, that *if* is the $1000 question (and why I posted it etc). ;-)

Sure, so it's a 'powerful' tool and hence more (traditionally) suited to bigger / heavier jobs.

Ok.

Makes sense. Same with my Bosch electric screwdriver where if I was doing enough of the right sort of job (that it suited) then I'd be bothered to get it and put it on charge (I don't actually know where it is any more). ;-(

Ouch, I've paid less for a car. ;-)
<snip> >> The 'hype' here from some re ID's makes me want to give one a go (I

Ah.

Ok.

I think it might. ;-)

Sure.

I think that (intuitively in use or lack thereof) reflects the suitability of a tool to a job. Like, I didn't really have to learn how to use my FatMax DD for anything I've used it for so far. Some of that may be down to me using most of the dedicated tools beforehand (mains powered single speed drills or electric screwdrivers) and therefore had an expectation (hope). Luckily the FatMax DD has met those (so far anyway).

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Happy to be, like I said, I don't generally need an excuse ... ;-)

Noted.

+1

I sort of get that but only for a very small subset of what I typically need to do.

Watch this space ... ;-)

Noted.
Thanks for the feedback. I think this is going to be very much a 'proof is in the eating' scenarios.
Cheers, T i m
On 20/08/2018 13:28, T i m wrote:

There are lots of cheap used IDs on eBay at the moment. I bought one a while back and have been impressed.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 21:07:05 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:
<snip> >>

I don't generally buy second hand tools. 1) because there would be no guarantee and 2) they could easily be stolen.

I would need to try before buying with something like this.
Cheers, T i m
On 20/08/2018 21:28, T i m wrote:

ITHM there are lots of *new* cheap IDs on ebay...
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 00:54:49 +0100, John Rumm

Sure, but as you suggest and I agree, I really think it's something I would need to try before I buy.
eg, How many people here advocating the use of ID's have Tinnitus where the chances are that even a short exposure to one in use close up (without hearing protection that I wouldn't need with a DD) may raise my Tinnitus levels for a few days would suffer the same?
That's why I can't go to the cinema, a concert or even a wedding disco.
Cheers, T i m
On 21/08/2018 10:37, T i m wrote:

Don't know is the short answer. While they are louder than a DD, its not a noise I have felt uncomfortable near, or had to reach for ear defenders. Its less offensive than a hammer drill drilling masonry IME.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:05:47 +0100, John Rumm
<snip> >> eg, How many people here advocating the use of ID's have Tinnitus

Suck it and see (or hear) I think is the only way John.

Unfortunately, unless you have Tinnitus (and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even the most rampantly fanatic Brexiteer!) you wouldn't know what noises can aggravate it.
Like, I have been exposed to some fairly loud noises, thought I was going to suffer the consequences but didn't, and some pretty low levels of noise and have?

And that is something I would definitely put some good quality ear defenders on before starting.
And I guess the noise level (or sound) can very depending on what you are using it on? Like a fence post outdoors or a cupboard, indoors where the shape could act like a sounding box or reflector.
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 03:51:34 +0100, John Rumm

JOOI, mine is 48 apparently:
http://service.dewalt.co.uk/DEWALT/GB/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?id 23
Although mine is marked 'Stanley Fat Max'. ;-)
https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/powertools/hammer-drill-18
Cheers, T i m

Totally different devices.
A hammer drill bashes the drill bit in and out. And impact driver bashes a screw round.
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *