Cordless doorbell - recommendations?

Argos do the one with a built in 13 amp socket: Doorman 75m Wire Free Plug Through Door Chime Kit. item: 8681397

John

Reply to
john.plant90

I have a "Friedland".

The the coin cell battery in the bell push outlasted the 2 "U2" batteries in the sounder 3-fold.

But still "years" in total. But inconvenient when the sounder stopped working.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

What's an underload??

An overload I understand.

??

Do you bay any chance mean a flat battery?

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I think he meant under load. In other words the voltage when being used, as opposed to the voltage produced when not connected to anything.

Have to say that we tried first a cheap wireless doorbell from B&Q in my GF's place and it maybe worked half the time. Tried a more expensive one and that worked maybe three quarters of the time, and then finally the most expensive one they sell, which claimed a prodigious range that would have supposedly worked about fifteen houses away. That worked maybe 85 to 90% of the time. In the end we gave up and put in a wired one with a mains fed bell for about five quid. Works 100% of the time.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark A

That's the problem we had with them. Very erratic performance. And that was out of the box, with new batteries etc. I wouldn't bother again. Wireless, schmireless!

We've currently got a fantastic 8" Swiss cow bell on it's original thick leather strap which I'd like to use as a doorbell.

Can't quite decide the best way to ring it though. It has a clapper in it so a simple swing would do it or something attached to the clapper maybe.

I'm erring on the side of mechanical wires and pulleys and a handle outside rather than a complicated electric relay type solution

Reply to
Fitz

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but we have a Friedland "combination" wireless doorbell system - there is a standard bell-push with bell near the door, and a wireless system attached to this.

We have 3 wireless "bells" around the house, battery operated. There is some sort of flashing mode if the battery is low.

The batteries have lasted over a year so far. The system works very well, through several very thick walls.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Mark, tnx for the explanation.

My wireless "spike meat thermometer" apparently can't co-exist with my wireless router, neither can my wireless "Chinese Weather Station".

You could make a fortune bringing them in.

Check out the setup they used to have in stately homes/country houses.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

replying to Jeff, Ray wrote: Can you tell me what type of battery the door bell push takes? Thanks

Reply to
Ray

Another question from home owners hub about products on the market in

2006. Even if Jeff is still around after 13 years all the products mentioned are probably no longer on sale having been replaced with newer models.
Reply to
alan_m

Yes, I'd always go for a door intercom nowadays or a posh video one if I had some sight. However one thing to be aware of, most wired door intercoms allow the occupier to start the conversation with a doorstep lurker who does not press the button, but many cordless ones do not, and I find this an issue these days, as dodgy people do exist. As for old posts, well it worries me why the year is not in the string used when sorting posts on that site. Its clearly ridiculous although having looked there, it is not exactly hidden where the thread started, but then the sighted are not observant and see what they expect whereas we blindies hear what is actually there!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff