Builders quotes

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under =A345000 to just over =A369000. It seems to me that there is a large difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe =A345000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

yes.

typical values for a raw build are from 600-1000 square meter. So the quotes above are in the right range at least.

The issue is what the fine print of the quote says, or doesn't say.

There are many ways to build. sling cheap blocks on inadequate or barely adequate foundations, use the crappiest windows, plastic sills, put in prefab roof trusses, and cheapest slap on machine tiles or slates and simply fill the cracks between plasterboard drylining and spray it magnolia....add in a few really cheap rads and surface copper or plastic plumbing.. its just a dull square box..oh and forget to add in things like extensive drainage mods so the bogs work properly,, and soakaways so the garden doesn't flood. Or indeed enough wiring to make it usable in a modern context.

At the other end, what about half timbered construction on a well planned and drained site, with bogs that work properly, a hand built roof featuring attractive dormers, covered in hand made tiles, and floored properly to make usable storage space. Fully plastered inside to a high professional standard, and painted colour of your choice in quality paint..and real wood or slate floors..windows of solid oak..and a nice brick chimney and open fire? UFH heating and not a pipe to be seen anywhere. And Cat 5 and satellite cables everywhere..juts not visible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Graham Jones scribeth thus

JOOI etc.. Is that One story or Two?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Two stories

Reply to
Graham Jones

Have you given the builders detailed specifications and drawings which have been passed by Building Control, or just described verbally what you require? If the former, and the quotes are in enough detail to satisfy you that they meet the spec., go for the cheapest one.

If the latter, you need to dig a lot deeper to find out exactly what each builder is offering. If the drawings haven't yet been approved, whose reponsibility is it to make sure that what is built will meet building regs - yours or the builders'?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Right..

Reply to
tony sayer

Have you got full plans & specifications? Have they priced against these? If no to either then the cheaper quote could be hoping to make it up with 'extras'. ("You want mortar between the bricks? Thats not on the speci; it'll cost you extra.")

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Quotes have been done from stamped building regs drawings.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

In another place, I've seen someone recommend this mob ...

Andy Burns

In message , Graham Jones writes

Yes

Regardless of what everyone else has said best thing is a personal recommendation.

Reply to
hugh

I was told years ago that quotes can vary a lot if people don't need the work. e.g. if you're busy then give a high quote. If you win it then sub-contract it.

MOST important is find out who they've done jobs for then look at what they did and speak to their customers.

Reply to
pjlusenet

If any of them are out Doncaster way then email me. I know some of the good/bad ones:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Or if you're bent, tell the "friendly competition" exactly how high a quote you've submitted, so they need only slightly undercut it and still have plenty to bung you, there's lots of it about ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Watch out for these (we had all of them):

Them starting the work and then going off to do other jobs for weeks on end. 'Extras' : things that get added to the spec after they start work and for which they can charge an arm and a leg. Them not building what it says on the plans - who is going to do the checking? architect? you? Is it really a quote or is it only an estimate?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I paid £20,000 for a well-built single storey (21 sq m) extension in Leicester last year.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

...and if you can find a builder that you're 100% happy with, they you're not much of a DIY-er! ;-)

Seriously, if you haven't got a personal recommendation (from someone you trust - not the builder's relative), and haven't seen their work, then don't consider it.

You're letting yourself in for hell anyway, so don't risk it.

Cheers, David.

P.S. most good builders are quite busy - even now. Extremely busy in the past. The best reasonably priced tradespeople have a waiting list.

Reply to
David Robinson