Cordless doorbell - recommendations?

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Reply to
John

As subject line really. This is for a house that we'll be letting out so I don't want to spend too much (seen one at *£100* - eek!!!) but, on the other hand, it has got to work well and be reliable.

I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless doorbell?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Eh! "stay away from the cheap ones"? too late now,but the aldi one for

4.99GBP has not been giving me any hassle which has been fitted for 2/3months?
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Agreed. My plug in is much better than the previous battery one. Still not perfect though. Strangely its fine plugged into a socket outlet, but won't work if plugged into an extension cable.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The whole point of it being wireless(battery) if you happen to go pottering about in the garden,hence you can take it anywhere around the house ie for slightly deaf people or you cant hear the bell in the back garden.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thats one point, the other is not having to run the cables.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5 meters and that is providing there is only one wall between bell push and the ringer. So unless you have a very small garden in direct line of sight of the bell push wandering round the garden is not possible with the cheaper models.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Thats funny was hosing the yard a couple of days ago the bell worked fine out there..

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The ones I bought from B&Q came in 2 versions - one for short distances and the other for long distance. I have one of each (bell) with one doorswitch and the long distance bell works fine in the workshop through four walls. On testing it worked OK to the middle of the field behind the house.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Just got to go out so a very hurried reply :o)

Thanks for all replies to my query - some interesting points there. I do need one with a decent range but I intend to screw it to the wall as I don't want tenants losing it or leaving it out in the rain - not that all tenants are like that, of course, but I do know some who are. The only reason I want cordless is so that I don't have to run wires all over the place.

Anyone suggest a make and model though? B&Q have been mentioned but is it their own brand? I've seen adverts for MK Libra - they any good?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Mine have Doorman written on them - but no clear make/model.

Reply to
John Cartmell

You must have got a better one than ours. If I plug ours in the dinning room, which about 6 meters away but through two walls it does not work. Move it the other side of the wall and it works. Similar problem with the ringer upstairs, and the walls are just brick, nothing metal in them.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Lindam LD22B/R says LINDAM plug in 433 on the front of the unit - I bought this 4 + years ago from b&q et al and it has worked ever since without issue or change of batteries (it must have them in push button)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Check the battery underload in the bell itself by putting a meter across the + & - and press the bellpush. Might be the battery is under powering the wireless circuitry.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

We have a Byron (from B&Q) - works OK, wasn't too expensive. We actually have two ringers as we couldn't find a position where you could definitely hear it throughout the house; one powered by AA batteries (which it eats); the other by a wallwart. It's 'intended' to be portable, ie looks a bit like a walkie-talkie, and doesn't have fittings to screw it to the wall though.

Lobster

Mogweed brought next idea :

Friedland. They come in various working distance ranges, the further - the more expensive. Range is open space range and will reduce drastically with walls in the way. The two (or more) parts have to be matched with a switch entered code, to avoid next doors push sounding your chime, though later ones do the matching automatically. Top of the range is about £35. The chimes can be mains powered with an adaptor.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

TLC do the plug in ones for just under £20:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Reply to
Pete C

To Sir Benjamin. The problem with a battery powered one is that the circuit is in receive mode all the time waiting for a signal (like leaving a radio on). The button unit only uses power whan the button is pushed. Hence my suggestion for a mains powered one - my daughter has one that is built into a plug that also has a socket on it so that it does not cause you to go without a socket.

John

Reply to
john.plant90