Chipboard Worktop

But usually only if the cut edge hasn't been sealed before fitting. In a kitchen I would have expected that cut edges and joins would have been treated/sealed to prevent water ingress.

Reply to
alan_m

PVA is not waterproof and that's why others are suggesting SBR.

[quote] What?s the difference between PVA and SBR?

SBR, or Styrene Butadiene Rubber, is a water resistant bonding and sealing agent, and shares many similar characteristics with PVA. One key difference is that, whereas PVA remains water soluble after drying, once dry SBR is not. Consequently, the SBR bonding agent is more suitable for situations where damp might be a factor, such as external finishes, shower areas and swimming pools, as well as in sand or cement screeds and renders. [/quote]

Wickes sell it in 1L and 5L containers however (in my experience) in their stores the 5L will be with all the other building (sand/cement) additives and the 1L container will be well hidden in another section of the store!

Reply to
alan_m

I was wondering that - just wondered if silicone would bind to that, when finishing off?

I was surprised when I did that hob cutout, that the silicone seemed to sink in slightly into the chip.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The other advantage of SMR I find is that its lower viscosity makes it better able to penetrate and wick into small spaces / gaps.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Is it sold under any "DIY Store Shelf Names" in small quantities?

Reply to
John

Yup, plus SF and Toolstation etc (although they tend to do 5L containers)

(might want to avoid Homebase though - they want the best part of £30 for it!)

A typo, it was supposed to be SBR

Reply to
John Rumm

As I mentioned before, the 1L and 5L containers of SBR in Wickes may be in opposite sides/corners of the store. In the Rayleigh, Essex store the 5L was in the building section along with bags of cement and sand and the 1L container was on the bottom shelf at the end of one of the isles almost in the opposite diagonal corner of the store.

When taking off the lid from the 1L container consider that it is a liquid the consistency of water so will go everywhere unless being gentle with the lid.

Reply to
alan_m

That's a pretty poor (or perhaps that should be pour in this case) choice of container!

Reply to
John Rumm