Glass cleaner that actually works?

Is there any available?
Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton of elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just as well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).
And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker residue from my kitchen windows.
Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in? Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

Would copious quantities of hot water and washing-up liquid be more successful?

I use a tiny amount of isopropanol on a microfibre cloth to clean the haze from inside my car windows, it works a treat. I think it would be wise to keep the isopropanol well away from paintwork though.
--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote:

Isopropanol (aka IPA or propan2ol) won't affect paintwork, and I've used it on the hard rubber of tape deck pinch wheels before now to remove oxide residues with no damage, so window rubbers aren't likely to be affected either.
Any residue left on rubbers etc can be removed with a cloth wetted with water.
On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote:

nah. isopropyl alcohol is about as inert as it gest beyond water
what ya think is in screenwash anyway?

isopropanol is usually abbreviated to IPA. An communication error could lead to best bitter being used to clean a windscreen
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

IPA is an ale, not a bitter, stupid.
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 18:29:29 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Let’s begin with its insistence that “pale ale” an d “bitter” are different products, … From the mome nt that bitter beers started to become popular in Britain, around the begin ning of the 1840s, “bitter beer” and “pale ale? ?? were used by brewers and commentators as synonyms. There never was a ny difference between the two. Why did “pale ale” come to b e appended as a name mostly to the bottled version of bitter? Because gener ally in the 19th century brewers called the drink in the brewery “p ale ale”, and that’s the name they put on their bottle labe ls, but in the pub drinkers called this new drink “bitter”, to differentiate it from the older, sweeter, but still (then) pale mild al es.

Corse they are, even if bitter is a contraction of bitter ale.

Irrelevant to the situation now.

BULLSHIT.

That’s bullshit too.

That’s not IPA, stupid.

Irrelevant to the situation now.

That’s not IPA either.
Keep digging, you'll be out in china any day now.

> I use a tiny amount of isopropanol on a microfibre cloth to > clean the haze from inside my car windows, it works a treat. > I think it would be wise to keep the isopropanol well away > from paintwork though. >
I was wondering about IPA. Do you find it OK with the daskboard plastics? (some's bound to drip on)
On 15/01/2020 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:

It appears ok with the plastics BUT the problem with second hand cars is that the plastic may have a coating of a cosmetic cockpit shine product that may be dissolved when the IPA splashes on to it.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

Is this the right point for a diatribe on the annoying use of silicone polish on steering wheels?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On 15/01/2020 11:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The annoying use of that stuff full stop.

It's pretty safe on most plastics. Once of the safest things to use on electronics, where you can find all sorts of plastics.
--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

On 14/01/20 10:50, Tim Watts wrote:

I find it's the stuff on the inside of the windscreen which is difficult to get at due to the often shallow angle of the glass. This helps, but isn't ideal: <https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges-brushes-buckets/halfords-long-reach-windscreen-cleaner > And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker

Might be worth trying undiluted screenwash first, then rinsing with water.
--

Jeff

The state of the cloth has a big effect.
On 14/01/2020 11:16, Jeff Layman wrote:

I use a big spraycan of glass cleaner bought at a local glazing, window,conservatory place. Works a treat.
On 14/01/2020 10:50, Tim Watts wrote:

washing up liquid does..

yes

surgical spirit
look exactly the same afterwards."
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 10:50:50 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

My fist american flatmate said newspaper and vinegar worked well for household windows.
On 14/01/2020 12:29, whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe 25 years ago! Newspaper tends to be better quality these days and less absorbent. The type of ink previously used, and came off on your hands when reading the paper, had solvent sufficient for cleaning glass. The ink used for newsprint changed decades ago.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk